Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

BOTM 10/14: Jim Beam Black

Sorry I'm so late with this months BOTM. It's getting harder and harder for me to come up with good ones. Here's my thoughts on that. I try to base my BOTM picks on a couple of things. First off, I try to pick a bourbon that is somewhat relevant at the time, and is pretty much readily available to the masses. With that, I also try to take into consideration the fact that we constantly have new members joining, and that's why I pick some that have been the BOTM before. When I pick a repeat, I try to make sure that it hasn't been the BOTM for a while. Secondly, I like to throw an occasional "something a little different" into the equation. Examples: Smooth Ambler Old Scout, Kirkland, Dickle Rye, etc…. So there you have the rationale behind my choosing a BOTM. Pretty simple for the most part, but…… FWIW, I will gladly take suggestions for a BOTM. I have done it in the past, and will continue to do so. Some I've used, and some I haven't. Either way, I always appreciate those trying to help me out. A big thank you to all those that have made suggestions in the past. Anyway, enough of all that. Let's get on to the business at hand.

The BOTM for this month is Jim Beam Black. As with a few other offerings in the bourbon world recently, it is something that is currently going through some changes. No more 8 year age statement. Hmmmm. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just my opinion. It is what it is, and the distilleries are doing the best they can.

I will defer my thoughts on Jim Beam Black. I've beat around the bush too much as it is. Must be getting soft in my old age. Yeah I know.

Anyway, let's hear what y'all have to say about Beam Black. As always, cheers, and happy posting.

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 10/14: Jim Beam Black

Solid bourbon at a fair price. Readily available, mixes fairly well and consistent in profile. I'll let others do the knocking if they so choose, but there's a lot more to like than not IMO.

Guru

Yes, all of that. Beam Black is the step up from regular on the way to premium bottling and suits the role admirably.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Not really a favorite of mine, but always a nice sipper for the money, and often the best bourbon on the shelf at some bars. Curious to see how the profile changes with the NAS version.
    Andrew

Connoisseur

For those of us with access to a Virginia ABC store, they are charging $22.95 for the 750ml; the 1.75's are usually $49.95 but are currently on sale for $44.95.

My introduction to JBB was during my judicious and deliberate (complete with notes) tastings of the "typical" house styles listed in Chuck's "Bourbon Straight." While a 200ml JB White sits on my shelf and waits for a guest who asks for bourbon and coke, the JBB does get used in introductory neat pours for guests, basic comparative tasting, and late at night when I want something under 100 proof before bed and can't decide between several more frequent choices. I guess management efficiency experts would call this "Option B - the compromise". How appropriate.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Solid bourbon at a fair price. Readily available, mixes fairly well and consistent in profile. I'll let others do the knocking if they so choose, but there's a lot more to like than not IMO.
    I think you just described the entire middle shelf.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

I like JB Black. It's a decent pour for an 80 proofer, and I don't mind sipping it neat.

Advanced Taster

I live abroad, we never got the 8YO, we only had the "extra aged" version. When I was first getting into Bourbon, JBB was the best that was readily available so I loaded up on a couple of handles. Later on, I found some better juice- lots of vintage 8YO Wild Turkey and I REALLY loaded up on that. Since then, more options have become available to me and JBB has finally bitten the dust on my shelf. The final 1/5 bottle was added to a mostly full bottle of MM and a nice VAT was produced, one that has improved with a bit of vat time. The grassy finish of the MM was improved, while the front forward sweetness of the MM has remained.

JBB- ain't too bad, but it ain't too great either. If it is the best you got, well, then there you are.

Enthusiast

I enjoy this pour. Consistent, tasty. Good neat, on the rocks or as a mixer.
    Gary M.

“There is no bad whiskey. There are only some whiskeys that aren’t as good as others.” Raymond Chandler