Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

really enjoying a pour of this right now, had a few before so not going to comment much on taste, but have to agree its like EWSB at a proper proof.

Enthusiast

A really good solid bourbon. A great barrel selection program that I often take advantage of when my local retailers get their bottles in. Never disappoints. Noticed they recently changed their label too.

Connoisseur

A good friend was at our local liquor store today and called and asked me for a bourbon recommendation. I was sipping on a PS HMcK BiB, and enjoying it immensely, so I told him to get himself one too. And then I went on to drone about how it was great stuff, probably not as good as my PS barrel, and more expensive by a hair, blah, blah, blah, then he chimed in with, "It says barreled in 1995, is that good?" That's right, pre-fire HH, and I passed on that bottle dozens of times without opening the cardboard box to check the barreled date. I can't wait until he cracks it so we can do a SBS with a more current offering. I know this 10 yr. BIB also happens to be single barrel, but are there significant differences between the pre-fire and post-fire versions of HMcK?

Guru

The stills are different but the mashbill and warehousing are the same so for my taste no, I wouldn't call the difference significant. Would like to hear your take on it.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    A good friend was at our local liquor store today and called and asked me for a bourbon recommendation. I was sipping on a PS HMcK BiB, and enjoying it immensely, so I told him to get himself one too. And then I went on to drone about how it was great stuff, probably not as good as my PS barrel, and more expensive by a hair, blah, blah, blah, then he chimed in with, "It says barreled in 1995, is that good?" That's right, pre-fire HH, and I passed on that bottle dozens of times without opening the cardboard box to check the barreled date. I can't wait until he cracks it so we can do a SBS with a more current offering. I know this 10 yr. BIB also happens to be single barrel, but are there significant differences between the pre-fire and post-fire versions of HMcK?
    Did it used to come in a box too? With the packaging as it was I can only imagine how great a matching box would be.

Enthusiast

Had a bottle of this (third grade art project label) and was singularly unimpressed after the first couple pours. It's not that I didn't like it, I just figured there were plenty others I liked better for a similar price once this bottle was eventually polished off.

Had curling practice last night - I'm a curler (so you'd think I'd drink Scotch) and the season begins soon - and busted out my bottle to share after 6 of us played a quasi-game. It tasted much more intriguing to me, more flavor, quite smooth, and the others at the table all liked it as well. So I may have to reconsider another purchase.

Connoisseur

My only complaint is that I have had a few different bottles of this which were a bit too thin. I have had some barrel selections of this at restaurants which were GREAT. Still none to me have the proper chew that HH 10 BIB (DSP31) had. I look forward to a McKenna which tastes as good as the HH10 BIB
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

I was not familiar with this label but I stumbled across a bottle today when visiting a new liquor store. They had a barrel selection, so I picked it up. I came to the forum to learn a bit about it and see that it's the selection of the month! Very serendipitous.

Enthusiast

Can someone comment on what the label change looks like (before and after)? I just picked up a bottle to try. It's a very homemade looking label with a copper wire wrapped many times around the neck and an oval copper stamped tag stating "Bottled in Bond". The front label is green felt with a small bi-fold paper that is attached with a sticker that has a hand written barrel number (799) and barreled date (9/28/01). Wondering if this is the old or new label.

Guru

The felt is the older label.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.