Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    My only complaint is that I have had a few different bottles of this which were a bit too thin. I have had some barrel selections of this at restaurants which were GREAT. Still none to me have the proper chew that HH 10 BIB (DSP31) had. I look forward to a McKenna which tastes as good as the HH10 BIB
    On paper, McKenna looks great. 10 YO BIB. What could go wrong? On the palate, though, I find it disappointing. There are other HH BIBs that I find just as satisfying for fewer dollars. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with McKenna just not enough right with it to justify the price. HH White, for example, is quite good at a third of the cost. Or FC at half the price. I'm starting to think that I'm just a cheap, grumpy old man.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

We cheap, grumpy old men have been supporting the distillers of Kentucky for a good many years now and should be rewarded with a discount.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Wait a minute- McKenna isn't a wheated bourbon? I thought it was?

I just picked up a bottle at Midway Liquors in Joppa, MD from their single barrel store bottling and it's REALLY GOOD. For $25, I have zero complaints about it.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Wait a minute- McKenna isn't a wheated bourbon? I thought it was?

I just picked up a bottle at Midway Liquors in Joppa, MD from their single barrel store bottling and it's REALLY GOOD. For $25, I have zero complaints about it.

Good to know, I will have to grab one next time I am driving by

Connoisseur

I met a nice guy by the name of Kevin there that knew you. He's on here too, but I forget his username. He bought a case of the McKenna it's so damn good.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I met a nice guy by the name of Kevin there that knew you. He's on here too, but I forget his username. He bought a case of the McKenna it's so damn good.
    Hey Ethan, it was me you met at Midway - it was great to meet you - it is Ken, btw

I do agree with the opening post, as when I tried this bottling for the first time on Saturday, my thought was that it exemplified the HH style that I've read about many times in the past, but don't necessarily pick up strongly in EC, for example - the menthol and eucalyptus notes. The Midway bottle is killer, especially for the case price of $25 - I doubt it will last long as IIRC, the barrel they bought didn't produce as many bottles as they originally were hoping for. As a bonus, the Midway bottling is also non-chill filtered. Already looking forward to cracking this tonight and give it a proper tasting.

Connoisseur

Hey Ken! I have no idea where I got Kevin from? Lesson for all of us- Ethan is terrible with names! Apologies for that one.

I think Stan said they got about 17 cases or something like that. He was expecting about 30 cases, so they suspect the barrel may have leaked during aging. Now I regret not buying more!

Advanced Taster

Just bought my very first bottle of this one. My initial thoughts, unlike many of you, is that it is a touch more refined than HH BIB, but not by much. I really like it, but it is nearly twice the price of HH BIB.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    Just bought my very first bottle of this one. My initial thoughts, unlike many of you, is that it is a touch more refined than HH BIB, but not by much. I really like it, but it is nearly twice the price of HH BIB.
    With labeled bottles of the month like this one, we should really note which ones we are drinking from, in case someone thinks they've got a honey bottle and somebody has a bottle they think is garbage we could tell who has bad tastebuds

My bottle is number 922, barreled on 12/2/02. It was super delicious from the start, but has now opened up with some air into something extremely nice. I like it way better than many of my other similarly priced 100 proofers.

Advanced Taster

The more and more I do this comparison with HH BIB, the McKenna seems to shine brighter and brighter. I'm really starting to dig this stuff.