Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    The more and more I do this comparison with HH BIB, the McKenna seems to shine brighter and brighter. I'm really starting to dig this stuff.
    Is yours the Midway selection, or another bottling?

Advanced Taster

No, mine is not a special bottling to the best of my knowledge. I picked this up at a Montgomery County liquor store, mostly because I wanted to compare it to my new PHC, which I am absolutely loving, and is reportedly about the same age and roughly the same proof. The PHC is superior with its delightful creaminess, but not by that much. I will have to check out that Midway place sometime when I'm close by.

I found a solid single barrel store offering of this at Old Town in Louisville. It is a collab with Doc Crowes restaurant. Good stuff.

Disciple

Having my second pour right now, this is an excellent Bourbon!

Advanced Taster

I just picked up a couple of bottles of the Midway Liquor barrel selection of McKenna and it is fantastic! Even better than the standard one I picked up earlier. I have compared it against nearly every bottle I have open at the moment, and with the exception of PHC version 7, it was equal or better than all of them. This is the second best bottle I've purchased all year. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

On a related note, check out the Midway Blantons barrel they have. I've only had two bottles of Blantons in my bourbon journey, and although I consider it a decent pour, it always seemed like a flatter more expensive version of ETL. Their barrel is much better than that, and I'm looking forward to comparing it against my lineup soon.

Guru

enjoying a fresh pour from a bottle gifted to me last month. Very, very nice. I did a SBS with it and HH6BIB white label, and while you can definitely tell the strong family resemblance, the McK is a bit smoother, sweeter, and more well rounded than the HH6. aging an extra 4 years makes a decent difference. It was a private selection bottle, and I may have to see if they have more of it still. I've read lots of online reviews about it, but I just don't see how people call this a 'hot' one, I find it just about right, and a great expression of HH profile done just right.

for reference, its barrel no. 1288, and is 11 years old (barreled on 2-28-03, and selected by this store on 3-19-13)
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 08-01-2014 at 22:33.
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.