Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Guru

Re: BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

anyone else find it very similar in profile to WT101 (recent releases), only with a better and longer lasting finish than the WT?
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

I am really enjoying this Bourbon. Been through a couple of bottles and bunkering more as I locate it. For the price it's hard to beat at least to me.

Also I find it nothing like WT101 as this far I haven't found any WT that is in my wheelhouse from a flavor standpoint.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

HM BIB's seem to have a great deal of variability to them, for some reason. A Private Selection of it that I tried recently, literally screamed the WT profile to me. It was pretty dang good.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

I, too, found their "batches" different (not surprising if they aren't lying about the single barrel). Bought a bottle in MD while passing through (far from home) and liked it enough to buy a replacement locally. Different enough taste that I retrieved the empty original from the recycle bin - obviously the barrel numbers were different but wanted to make sure. It's not in my regular rotation so didn't buy another for awhile. When I did, I liked that third bottle enough to rush back and get two from the same barrel for the bunker. It's still not a regular, but I now think I'll avoid a little disappointment for awhile when I'm in the mood for it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in WashDC View Post
    I, too, found their "batches" different (not surprising if they aren't lying about the single barrel). Bought a bottle in MD while passing through (far from home)....
    Harry, I don't know what you consider "far from home." but when we are in the area we make a point of shopping at the "Monkey County" liquor stores in MD. They always have something on sale at exceptional prices.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    HM BIB's seem to have a great deal of variability to them, for some reason. A Private Selection of it that I tried recently, literally screamed the WT profile to me. It was pretty dang good.
    There is a liquor store by my house (northern suburbs of Minneapolis), that has a Private Selection. Wondering if it would be an improvement on the normal HM BIB (which is pretty good on its own).

Virtuoso

I prefer the HMcK BiB over EC12, but it is splitting hairs. I've had three McKenna BiB store selects and at least 5 other bottles purchased up and down the east coast, and there is less variability in those than EC12. I do like EC12, but at times, at least to me, it isn't as balanced as the McKenna. They are both good, but I'll throw it Henry's way.
    Mark

Enthusiast

I got one a couple months ago, great value, great pour. I like to recommend this to people I see looking at bottles in the liquor stores.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Apprentice

BOTM 10/13: Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB

HM BIB store selects are equal favorite daily pours as are EC12 SB offerings. I have a hard time picking a favorite. I'm a big fan of HH products.

I just picked up a couple bottles of HM barrel 1444 from a local shop that I'm looking forward to opening later tonight.
    Last edited by Jiggity; 10-25-2014 at 19:13. Reason: sent too early