Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Foreign Whisky of the Month - 10/2013: Clynelish

Happy Fall, or here in the PacNW, WINTER! Within just a couple weeks of our highest temperature of the summer we were already getting more rain and cool weather than I can ever remember for a September. And now that we are into October we've had days barely into the 50s, so here is hoping Clynelish will serve as a Winter warmer of a Single Malt because it is the Foreign Whisky of the Month.

I need to go shopping since I don't have any on hand, but am anxious to try it!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 10/2013: Clynelish

Great... Now I gotta go find a bottle.

Thanks for giving me an excuse ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Foreign Whisky of the Month - 10/2013: Clynelish

One of my favorite Highland malts is the standard 14 Yr Clynelish. This is a wonderful sipper for fall and winter. I was fortunate enough to obtain a 25yr independent bottling of a 1982 vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Enthusiast

Before I started to get more into scotch I got a JW Gold. It's heavy on the Clynelish and very tasty. I had some of the 14 in a bar and enjoyed that. The flavor is pretty unique. I should grab a bottle.

Virtuoso

It's been a few years now, but if the distillery has remained consistent, you just can't go wrong with the Clynelish 14 at around $50. It's a high quality malt and I think it's a great scotch for a bourbon drinker.

I bought a bottle of the Distiller's Edition a month or two ago. So far I've been quite underwhelmed. I'll revisit and repost, but my initial impression is that the finish does nothing for the malt.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

I have a bottle of the official 14 year that's been open for about a year. Still smells like a sacristy (incense, candle wax, communion wine, old books). Great stuff and worth savoring.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Taster

I bought a bottle of the 14 but was not initially impressed with the finish - too woody - almost bitter. But as the months rolled by and the bottle slowly emptied, the finish has improved dramatically. It was on my do-not-buy list but is now back on my shopping list. However, I will be keeping my empty bottle to decant half of the new bottle into in an effort to speed the "aging" process - as with some bourbons. On the palate, this one is very bright - nice fruits and malt. A new favorite when I'm not in the mood for any peat. In fact, I think I'll have some tonight while watching SOA.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Connoisseur

I tried looking for the 14 year and so far none of the local Seattle area stores have it listed on their online inventory. Total wine has some sort of 15 year from a label called Berrys (I assume they buy barrels like AD Rattray) but they want $80 before tax for it, so thats around $100 after tax... no thanks! Guess I'll be sticking with the 17 year ADR I picked up though I had wanted to compare it with the standard offering.

Virtuoso

I can usually find the standard 14 year old for $45 - I think it is a great SMS that really has a unique mouthfeel - "waxy" is what you often read about it and that is really a great way to describe it. Haven't had any of the older or independent bottlings, but this one is a great value.
    Mark

Enthusiast

Hi

I am a big fan of clynelish, and the regular is a fine expression. I am also not a big fan of the finished version

It is correct that Berrys is and independent bottler like AD Rattray. Ior Semiindependent. They own Glenrothes distillery!

Berry Bros and Rudd is an old wine shop in London. It is actually the oldest still existing shop in London, and absolutely worth a visit, especially if you can get a tour in the cellars below. The place is full of history going back several hundred years, including historic people like Lord Byron, one of the Napoleons, World War two bombings and what not

Steffen