Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 10/2013: Clynelish

I haven't gotten around to trying, or buying a bottle of Clynelish, but after this thread it sounds like I'll be prying open the wallet very soon. Possibly tomorrow at Park Ave Liquors in NY.

Virtuoso

I picked up and opened a bottle of Clynelish 14 last night, and it just hit all the right notes. It was such a relief to get the full finish on this after drinking the DE the night before; the Oloroso seco finish on the DE completely destroys the malt, sucking up all its orange floral waxiness into its dry, over-saturated spongy sherry wood. At $30 more than the 14yo, I can easily say I will never purchase the DE again. I've gone too long without the 14, though, and don't plan on letting that happen again. It's just a tasty, balanced and uniquely well-rounded malt that is all too easy to drink and all too well-priced to ignore.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I haven't gotten around to trying, or buying a bottle of Clynelish, but after this thread it sounds like I'll be prying open the wallet very soon. Possibly tomorrow at Park Ave Liquors in NY.
    Isn't that the giant store that has received a bunch of awards? I may have to visit there when I head to NY next month.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I picked up and opened a bottle of Clynelish 14 last night, and it just hit all the right notes. It was such a relief to get the full finish on this after drinking the DE the night before; the Oloroso seco finish on the DE completely destroys the malt, sucking up all its orange floral waxiness into its dry, over-saturated spongy sherry wood. At $30 more than the 14yo, I can easily say I will never purchase the DE again. I've gone too long without the 14, though, and don't plan on letting that happen again. It's just a tasty, balanced and uniquely well-rounded malt that is all too easy to drink and all too well-priced to ignore.
    I think I'll echo what Aaron said about the 14 pretty much exactly.

This is the first time I have had any Clynelish, and I have to say, I am very impressed. Here in Oregon the 14 year sells, if you can find it for $47, right off hand I can't think of a whisk(e)y I'd rather buy in the sub $50 range.

Aaron's description of the finish is spot on; citrusy orange floral wax.

Maybe I am crazy, but I almost get a subtle champagne flavor in it on the pallate and buried in the nose, very interesting.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 10-12-2013 at 00:08.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

bought a bottle of the 14 yr at Total wine, and found it quite approachable. For me scotch is more of an aperitif or a dessert, rather than a main course, and this certainyl fits that bill, sweet, rich, thick.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    bought a bottle of the 14 yr at Total wine, and found it quite approachable. For me scotch is more of an aperitif or a dessert, rather than a main course, and this certainyl fits that bill, sweet, rich, thick.
    No luck at my local bevmo. Going to try the mom and pop store later this week.

Enthusiast

@mtndew - try World of Wines. They had a pretty decent selection if memory serves (I'll leave WA state prices for another discussion). Park Ave liquors is not in fact on Park Ave but it is close to Grand Central Station and is easy to get to if you are in Manhattan. They aren't big in square footage but they have a very good selection including lots of independent and unusual bottlings. Well worth a detour. (and just to be clear I have no interest in either store - I've just bought whiskies from both of them).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I picked up two bottles of the DE edition and was equally disappointed. One of the great trademarks of Clynelish is the waxy mouthfeel and that was completely missing in the DE.
    Justin

Guru

Clynelish 14 OB & G&M (Connoisseur's Choice) Brora 1982/24yr... I get the family resemblance between these two malts & the OB bottling really holds up well against the G&M Brora. The salt/brine is really coming through for me and the freshly cut young guava on the nose is alluring.

I may need to hunt down an OB peated Brora to properly research this subject ;-)
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 10-22-2013 at 01:40.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

The obtainable IB Broras almost always tend to be from the 80's when the product was more (new) Clynelish-like rather than having the unique farmy characteristics of 70's Brora. The 80's are still pretty special bottles and probably have more appeal to a wider audience, though I enjoyed the dirty tasting stuff.

While most of the 70's Broras tend toward farmy and peaty, the distillate from the early 70's is the heavily peated from the period where Islay couldn't keep up with demand and Brora was used to fill the gap. Up until '73 is considered some of the best peated whisky ever to be produced - prepare to pay though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I may need to hunt down an OB peated Brora to properly research this subject ;-)
    A little inspiration for you - this is about half the family
    Last edited by p_elliott; 11-09-2013 at 13:44.