Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: When do you decide a bottle needs to be finished off?

Thanks guys for all the responses! I assumed there would not be many others who had similar habits to mine, guess I was wrong. I'll admit to sometimes specifically targeting a bottle for completion which, like Nivto said, makes me feel like I'm drinking for the sake of drinking. I've never set a specific limit to how many bottles I can have open at once but I do try to open no more than I can fit on the bottom shelf of my bar, which tends to be 24-28 depending on the type of bottles. My wife is always making something or other around here so we have plenty of bottles of various sizes, I may have to follow Gary's advice and move my nicer bottles that are low into smaller containers to limit air contact, especially since I don't have replacements for most. Consequently this would mean the bottles would take up less space which would allow more to be open... hmmm....

Oh, and to Gary, I recently completed my own spreadsheet with all my bottles on it. In addition to all the normal stats I added columns on availability and my taste ratings. I even built several pivots for the front tab to show how many bottles of each category I have (scotch is currently winning), how many of each category are open, how many of each category have been finished off, etc... The last tab has links to bottles I'd like to add to my collection for the benefit of the wife when she shops for presents

So, I guess the general lesson here is worry less about finishing off a specific bottle and just enjoy the experience. I guess I could have figured that one out on my own, plus there is always the empty bottle thread to come to when I have a particularly painful separation.

Thanks!

-Brad

Disciple

I'll be honest and say sometimes I'm drinking just to be drinking.

Enthusiast

i keep about 20 bottles open, and its more shelf space than anything. Pretty new as well, so buying lots faster than i can drink it and my bunker is getting full as well, with about 100 bottles total. Once a bottle gets around a quarter full i usually take it to a weekly bourbon/cigar get together and share it with my friends.

I also don't nurse a bottle to make it last. I collect bourbon because I like to drink it and mood really determines what bottle i hit.
    Last edited by DrBob; 10-05-2013 at 12:21.

Guru

My pivot table is mostly on volume, which I try to use as a reminder that I have YEARS of whiskey left if I didn't buy another drop, so just because something new comes out - I don't have to have it (until I try it at least and make some excuse for NEEDING it ) I like the idea of a wish list. I've started using Amazon.com for that since they allow you to add products that they don't sell to your wish list.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

I wouldn't fret too much about it (or go get yourself some small bottles to decant into if you need the peace of mind). I had a Glen'mo Nectar d'Or opened at least 4 yrs and a Lag 16 opened longer than that - probably closer to 7. Probably had them down below the 25% mark for at least 2 yrs+ and they still seemed OK to me. Maybe would have been noticeably different in a side-by-side with a fresh bottle, but I didn't find them "off" in any way.
    Mark

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I wouldn't fret too much about it (or go get yourself some small bottles to decant into if you need the peace of mind). I had a Glen'mo Nectar d'Or opened at least 4 yrs and a Lag 16 opened longer than that - probably closer to 7. Probably had them down below the 25% mark for at least 2 yrs+ and they still seemed OK to me. Maybe would have been noticeably different in a side-by-side with a fresh bottle, but I didn't find them "off" in any way.
    I'm a bit of a sentimentalist and kept a bottle of Lagavulin open from our wedding 8 years ago. I just got around to finishing it this past June. There was like 2oz or something left in the bottle. As delicious as the first day. Smoke may have helped hide any oxidized or cardboardy flavors.

Connoisseur

I usually like to have only a half dozen or so open at a time. I try to have several distilleries represented. My liquor cabinet is the top level of the pantry, so it can easily get crowded. When a bottle gets down to maybe the last two pours, it seems like it's time to think about finishing it off. This is no chore, as I don't get anything that isn't quality (even the less expensive stuff like JTS Brown and VOB).

Virtuoso

My mantle fits 10-12 bottles depending on shape, so i limit open to that range. I will say, maybe it's purely mental...but unless it's a bottle i'm saving for an occasion i tend to attack once they're really low. It allows me to open a new choice which is always fun.

Connoisseur

I decide a bottle needs to be finished off when there is 2 pours or less left. Otherwise, there's no urgency.

Advanced Taster

interesting topic! Id like to know if many of you use this private preserve in their open bottles of bourbon? I have about 35 bottles open, and the expensive ones that are hard to replace (PHC, EHT WLW ect..), I rarely drink, except on special occasions. Does this product work? I haven't noticed any of my bourbon going bad, just changing slightly. I target bottles that are easily replaced, but I seem to open twice as many as I finish!