Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: When do you decide a bottle needs to be finished off?

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I wouldn't fret too much about it (or go get yourself some small bottles to decant into if you need the peace of mind). I had a Glen'mo Nectar d'Or opened at least 4 yrs and a Lag 16 opened longer than that - probably closer to 7. Probably had them down below the 25% mark for at least 2 yrs+ and they still seemed OK to me. Maybe would have been noticeably different in a side-by-side with a fresh bottle, but I didn't find them "off" in any way.
    That's my experience. Some SBers, though, have really, really sensitive palates. I have never had a bourbon long enough to go bad. For that matter, despite all the bitching about bad corks, I have never had a cork go bad either. Some of us are just lucky that way.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    For that matter, despite all the bitching about bad corks, I have never had a cork go bad either. Some of us are just lucky that way.
    It's funny you mentioned that - up until tonight, I would wholeheartedly agree. Never had a bad cork. The first one ever sheared off in my hand tonight. Of course, it was a bottle I've had for at least 15 years that I had forgotten about! Anything can happen but likely more of a dusty problem I'd guess ... certainly gave me an incentive to finish off this bottle and one or two others that have been hanging around far too long.
    Mark

Guru

When I see it on a shelf at the store.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

As I mentioned earlier, I use private preserve on my nice bottles but I have no idea if it actually works or not. However, it's worth the cost for my piece of mind :-)

Enthusiast

Until recently I had been hesitant to finish limited edition and bottles I don't have a backup because I find myself revisiting, sometimes years later, and finding that my palate and/or memory has changed and thus my opinion. A recommendation from ChainWhip led to a purchase of 2oz glass bottles from specialtybottles.com which solved that problem. I don't even wait for a bottle to get low, I open a fresh one and transfer 2oz, then I don't mind killing it. There will always be more good stuff out there and I don't mind evolving with the industry, I just want to maintain a glimpse of the past.

Now I look forward to an empty bottle because it opens up room for more.

Connoisseur

Dang, that's a great idea, transfer at the opening of a bottle. I'm going to copy!

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    Until recently I had been hesitant to finish limited edition and bottles I don't have a backup because I find myself revisiting, sometimes years later, and finding that my palate and/or memory has changed and thus my opinion. A recommendation from ChainWhip led to a purchase of 2oz glass bottles from specialtybottles.com which solved that problem. I don't even wait for a bottle to get low, I open a fresh one and transfer 2oz, then I don't mind killing it. There will always be more good stuff out there and I don't mind evolving with the industry, I just want to maintain a glimpse of the past.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    When I see it on a shelf at the store.
    This made me laugh out load, and have to explain to my office what was sooooo funny. Thanks Squire.

Like a lot of you I am newer to this venture, so I get excited to try new stuff. I probably have close to 30 bottles open on my bar, and I keep my rotation pretty even through them all. I do have a couple of favorites that I have finished and replaced, but those are only a few. I have not been lucky enough to get my hands on any of the BTAC or PVW juice, so I don't reserve too much for special occasions. I tend to decide my initial pour based on bottle fullness, so they all stay close to the same level. Then my later pours I go to those favorites.

I have noticed recently that when I go back to something I have not had for awhile it tastes different than I remember. I have been pondering the same question MtnDew posed. Not sure if that is the bourbon/rye or my palate, but I am going to try Flyfish Challenge from another post to do a blind tasting of the same pours spaced out to see if it is my palate.

Connoisseur

I really hadn't given this too much thought. I guess I do tend to bring some into a "more often poured" rotation once they hit about 20% full. But, I think it's because I want the shelf space as much as it is to finish it off.
    Speaking of Bourbon changing over time; my experience (with the exception of one bottle of 4-R Sm.B.L.E.) I've never had one go noticeably downhill. I've had a few 'bad corks'; but even that didn't seem to spoil the Bourbon. I just decanted the liquid and it was fine. I will also say; one bottle I experienced the opposite... A bottle of Pappy-23 I was unimpressed with on the first few pours and, therefor left aside to impress friends, became wonderful after about a year on the shelf around 2/3 full. Go Figure.

Virtuoso

When do you decide a bottle needs to be finished off?

Deleted via Tapatalk.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post

Great idea ...

WRT finishing off a bottle ... that decision has been taken out of my control ... I have a son and two sons-in-law ... gotta take the good with the bad.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd