Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: When do you decide a bottle needs to be finished off?

I really like the idea of preserving a small 2oz bottle for the future, it would be perfect for that situation where I consider buying a bottle of something I havent had for a couple years because I want to see how my palate has evolved but dont want to buy a whole bottle - brilliant!

Virtuoso

Like DBM, I have started using bottles from Specialty Bottles. When I open a new, hard to get, bourbon or rye, I save some immediately in a 4 oz bottle. I want enough to either have a really good evening with it in the future or to share it with a friend. (I also bought 2 oz bottles so I could send some of my current stock home with friends.)
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Guru

I've been saving samples of hard to find bottles for quite a while too, but I just use empty 200ml bottles. I might want more than just a couple of pours in the future. Plus, the shipping on those Specialty bottles is high. Is there a cheaper way to get them?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

I agree, the shipping was high. I checked a few local places and on Amazon, but couldn't find anything comparable or as inexpensive, even with the shipping. The bottles are good quality and many others have used them. So, I went with the sure thing instead of gambling on something else. I think I bought a few dozen of 4 and 2 oz to spread the shipping.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Guru

Freund Container is another decent outfit for sourcing glass bottles.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

It just occured to me that with my chosen vocation as an environmental scientist I have an almost unlimited supply of laboratory grade sterile glass containers at my disposal, complete with inert teflon cap seals. The best thing is that all I have to do is call up any of my laboratory contractors up and request a couple hundred 3oz dark tinted bottles to dropped off free of charge, why havent I thought of this before!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    It just occured to me that with my chosen vocation as an environmental scientist I have an almost unlimited supply of laboratory grade sterile glass containers at my disposal, complete with inert teflon cap seals. The best thing is that all I have to do is call up any of my laboratory contractors up and request a couple hundred 3oz dark tinted bottles to dropped off free of charge, why havent I thought of this before!
    Good idea. I believe MichaelTurtle1 is also an environmental scientist. Which is why a sample he shipped to Austin came in a nice test tube with a screw on cap. And also why he could do that amazing lead testing thread.

Guru

For the whisky library, I've bumped up from the 2oz to 200ml though - it'll afford me the opportunity to spend more time revisiting with an old friend :-)

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

This has been posted before, but this article by Sku a while back has some relevance to our discussion:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/...eld-guide.html

;-)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    For the whisky library, I've bumped up from the 2oz to 200ml though - it'll afford me the opportunity to spend more time revisiting with an old friend :-)
    Just a small step away from bumping it to back-up (library) bottles, eh? If you don't watch out, you may start developing a bunker, even.