Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

To kick off a fall/winter cocktail thread, I'll post a Boulevardier riff (improvement).

1794:

1 1/2 oz. rye (Ritt. DSP 354)
    3/4 oz. Campari
    3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)
    2 dashes xocolatl bitters (Bitter Truth's Bittermen's version)

This drink kills the Boulevardier. Sweet vermouth is a temperamental thing for me. Good on its own, not so good in cocktails. Manhattans and Negronis have always been a sticking point. The xocolatl mole bitters go well with the spices in the sweet vermouth. Couple that with the spice and barrel age of rye and the bittersweet, complex Campari, and you have a carefully thought out drink to get you through the brisk months.

Guru

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    To kick off a fall/winter cocktail thread, I'll post a Boulevardier riff (improvement).

1794:

1 1/2 oz. rye (Ritt. DSP 354)
    3/4 oz. Campari
    3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)
    2 dashes xocolatl bitters (Bitter Truth's Bittermen's version)

This drink kills the Boulevardier. Sweet vermouth is a temperamental thing for me. Good on its own, not so good in cocktails. Manhattans and Negronis have always been a sticking point. The xocolatl mole bitters go well with the spices in the sweet vermouth. Couple that with the spice and barrel age of rye and the bittersweet, complex Campari, and you have a carefully thought out drink to get you through the brisk months.
    I know bitter is a prevailing theme in the cocktail world but I always have to maintain a light hand on the Compari to suit my taste, which admittedly leans towards the sweet side.

I would probably try to get my bitterness from the vermouth with Carpano or maybe Punt e Mes and go with less Compari. Or push it to the sweet side by subbing Aperol which admittedly creates a different taste profile but one I seem to like better than Compari.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I know bitter is a prevailing theme in the cocktail world but I always have to maintain a light hand on the Compari to suit my taste, which admittedly leans towards the sweet side.

I would probably try to get my bitterness from the vermouth with Carpano or maybe Punt e Mes and go with less Compari. Or push it to the sweet side by subbing Aperol which admittedly creates a different taste profile but one I seem to like better than Compari.
    Are you not a Campari fan? That would be a shame. I'm enamored with the stuff.

I have swapped sweet vermouth with Punt e Mes in a Negroni, but never in one of the whiskey-based versions. The PeM Negroni wins over the standard, with its fortified bitterness. I'm only barely familiar with Aperol, but I think I'd find a Negroni-family drink difficult to enjoy if I were expecting Campari.

Virtuoso

The answer to this thread, however intermittent, will almost always be a Russian. Last night it was Tito's, Kahlua, BT Bourbon Cream, and a splash of Chambord. I always eyeball pour my Russians over ice, but it's probably a pretty normal 2/1/.5/.5 mix, or something close to it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Are you not a Campari fan? That would be a shame. I'm enamored with the stuff.

I have swapped sweet vermouth with Punt e Mes in a Negroni, but never in one of the whiskey-based versions. The PeM Negroni wins over the standard, with its fortified bitterness. I'm only barely familiar with Aperol, but I think I'd find a Negroni-family drink difficult to enjoy if I were expecting Campari.
    Oh, I have it and use it periodically but I just find a little goes a long way for me. I always make a new cocktail that includes Campari as written to start with but often find I want to modify it. My bitter meter doesn't go quite as high as a lot of others, especially the current elite local cocktail gurus in town, seems to.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Enthusiast

At M&S Grill last night, hd a couple of interesting cocktails on the menu. One had bourbon, ginger liqueur, apple butter syrup and sage; great fall cocktail but a little on the sweet side for me. The other was an old fashioned riff with some peach bitters and the interesting addition of Pimm's cup. It was also good, but with a finish that was a little odd. Both worth trying.

Advanced Taster

Had a Corpse Reviver #2:

1 part Gin (Bluecoat)
    1 part Lillet Blanc
    1 part Orange Liqueur (usually calls for Cointreau, but I subbed Gran Marnier because that's all I had)
    1 part lime juice
    Shake on ice and pour into absinthe (Vieux Carre) rinsed glass. Garnish with lemon peel.

And a Martinez:

2 parts Gin (Tanqueray Malacca)
    1 part Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi Torino)
    1 scant Spoonful Maraschino Liquor
    3 dashes Angostura bitters
    Stir over ice, twist of orange

Been getting into gin cocktails a lot lately. They just have an aromatic and herbal quality that you don't find in whiskey, beer, or most food. I still finished the night off with a 7 year WSR, but gin drinks are great pre-dinner and after dinner drinks

Connoisseur

my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess
    1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye
    3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
    1/4 oz Cherry Heeling
    2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess
    1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye
    3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
    1/4 oz Cherry Heeling
    2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass
    I think there is a cocktail by that name in the PDT book but not sure if it is the same ingredients. But I have what is needed so will have to give this a try!