Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Couldn't decide on whether to have a bourbon or rye Manhattan, so I used my last oz. of GBS Private barrel of ETL, 1.5 oz. of THH, Dolin, Angosutura and Bokers bitters. Not the most balanced manhattan but still very good.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A Sazerac. This has become my go-to cocktail. Only rarely now will I drink a Manhattan or Martini.

I have a kind of solera going in a half-gallon jug I keep adding to. However, I think the result is fairly consistent because I can see that I incline to a certain taste. And so even though the bourbons, ryes, Canadians and brandies, not to mention bitters and the mix of 4 or 5 absinthes I use, vary over time, the taste tends to be within a certain spectrum. I like a good straight whiskey base with a brandy overlay, a rye presence (which can be imparted by small batch Canadians and/or straight U.S. ryes) and an aromatic blend of different bitters with cherry and orange notes perhaps predominating in the latter.

The taste is (if I may say) very rich and complex, kind of a Turkish Delight of a cocktail so to speak. I seek also a soft glycerine like palate, for neat drinking, ice, bah.

I like the anise more forward now than in the past. It is a key part of this drink and I refuse to let it peek from around the corner.

I give you, the Sazerac, or rather, your humble scribe's version since no one's effort however manful can be considered definitive.

Gary

Apprentice

I stirred up an Old Charter 101 Old Fashioned tonight (no muddled fruit) to enjoy while I browse through the SB forum

Advanced Taster

Off work today due to the weather, despite the snowfall amount not living up to predictions. Always enjoy going the tiki route during winter weather so I put together one of my favorites, a chartreuse swizzle http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/improve...reuse-swizzle/, according to kaiser penguin's specifications. Using up a bottle of Velvet Falernum at the moment, but this is especially good if using homemade falernum (I also use kaiser penguin's falernum recipe). Since I was off work, I also started infusing bourbon for some root beer bitters, with wintergreen, sarsaparilla, spearmint, licorice root, and a few other herbs using a recipe from the Bitters book.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC100210.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	17044

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by devillighter View Post
    Off work today due to the weather, despite the snowfall amount not living up to predictions. Always enjoy going the tiki route during winter weather so I put together one of my favorites, a chartreuse swizzle http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/improve...reuse-swizzle/, according to kaiser penguin's specifications. Using up a bottle of Velvet Falernum at the moment, but this is especially good if using homemade falernum (I also use kaiser penguin's falernum recipe). Since I was off work, I also started infusing bourbon for some root beer bitters, with wintergreen, sarsaparilla, spearmint, licorice root, and a few other herbs using a recipe from the Bitters book.

Name:	PC100210.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	17044
    One of my favorites. It's hard to beat an icy concoction of Wray & Nephew, Chartreuse, and falernum.

Disciple

2 oz. dusty WT101Rye, 1oz Cocchi Vermouth, .5oz of Cocchi Barolo Chinato, and a dropper of Bittercube Bolivar bitters. On my third.

Advanced Taster

Made a Hot Hopper the other night, recipe courtesy of LeNell Camacho Santa Ana who is writing a lot for epicurious now (many of you may remember her for her Brooklyn Liquor Store and Red Hook Rye). Very nice with Tempus Fugit cordials, but if I'd have to make it again I'd do half drinks as it is too cloying to sip in one sitting.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...t-hopper-.html

Name:	PC140213.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	17091

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by devillighter View Post
    Made a Hot Hopper the other night, recipe courtesy of LeNell Camacho Santa Ana who is writing a lot for epicurious now (many of you may remember her for her Brooklyn Liquor Store and Red Hook Rye). Very nice with Tempus Fugit cordials, but if I'd have to make it again I'd do half drinks as it is too cloying to sip in one sitting.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...t-hopper-.html

Name:	PC140213.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	17091
    Just saw in Imbibe that she is opening a new place called Lenell's Beverage Boutique (with an adjoining bar in Birmingham, AL of all places. Apparently it is her home town. Could more unique bottlings be forthcoming? Seems like it will be tough in the current environment.

But apparently she will be the Queen of American Whiskey once again by her own report.

I guess I missed the first time around...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Just finished wrapping the last present, and am now relaxing back and listening to Christmas music with an Old Crotchety Fashioned.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

Sazerac coctail. Just got into these a few months ago. Yummy, yummy, yummy. Used up a bottle of Willett 4 yr rye first, now into a bottle of Sazerac Rye. I think I liked the Willett better. Much hotter and spicer, better in a mixed drink. Have a Thomas H Handy ready to open as soon as I can acquire a Saz 18 and William Larue Weller so I can complete the BTAC this year. Hopefully that happens soon.