Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Had an excellent Manhattan with dinner at Grange in Sacramento. I recommend the pork chop...it's 'Flinstonian'. Massive. The bar has a small but good selection of bourbon, including FR 125th.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I picked up some Allspice Dram just to try this one, and aside from the silly amount of time it took to prepare, it's good, like a smoky and spicy Manhattan.

You forgot to mention the garnish though, which I read from the Cocktail Virgin Slut article: a cherry soaked in cask strength Laphroaig, set aflame!
    Not sure I was even aware of that addition but will make a note! It is a bit laborious but glad you liked it.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Simple and refreshing...Willett 4 yr rye, Gosling's ginger beer, and Fee Bros cherry bitters over crushed ice. The LDI ryes really shine when mixed with ginger ale and ginger beer, IMO. The brightness of the LDI's really sparkle.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Made a few Manhattans tonight for some friends after some great guidance from Bruce. Turned out better than expected!
    Tyler

Connoisseur

I made several gin-based cocktails last night, including my favorite Corpse Reviver #2. The clear winner of the night, however, was the Necromancer. The recipe can be found here. http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/03/...ocktail-recipe

I used St. George absinthe, subbed St. Germain for the elderflower liqueur listed, and subbed the more interesting Kina L'Avion D'or for the Lillet Blanc. What a wonderful cocktail which really showcases the subtleties of the absinthe. Don't forget the dashes of gin. I forgot to add it on the second one I made and it wasn't as good.

Advanced Taster

Having some Dickel 12 with Ginger and a couple dashes of orange bitters. Great primer waiting for Walking Dead to start.

Guru

Ah, the Necromancer, the high powered cousin of the Corpse Reviver #2 that swaps the roles of the gin and absinthe!

Haven't tried the Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion D'or. Is it better than Cocchi Americano as a replacement for the somewhat lackluster current day Lillet?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    I made several gin-based cocktails last night, including my favorite Corpse Reviver #2. The clear winner of the night, however, was the Necromancer. The recipe can be found here. http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/03/...ocktail-recipe

I used St. George absinthe, subbed St. Germain for the elderflower liqueur listed, and subbed the more interesting Kina L'Avion D'or for the Lillet Blanc. What a wonderful cocktail which really showcases the subtleties of the absinthe. Don't forget the dashes of gin. I forgot to add it on the second one I made and it wasn't as good.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I'm loving the L'Avion D'Or! Blows away the current Lillet and as good or better than Cocchi Americano. I've been drinking it over ice as an aperitif. Complex herbal notes and bitterness from the quinine. And it loves gin.

Enthusiast

An old fashioned made from WTR101, fees orange bitters and a pomegranate mollases in the place of a sugar syrup. The tartness of the pomegranate is complimeneted nicely by the orange bitters, and the rye whiskey adds to the overall earthiness of the cocktail, I think a bourbon would probably be too contrasting for this mix, maybe not, only one way to find out I guess.

Connoisseur

Having some cocktails to celebrate my wife's new job. Dirty Martini for her and Manhattan for me. Cheers!
    Tyler