Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tylermke View Post
    Having some cocktails to celebrate my wife's new job. Dirty Martini for her and Manhattan for me. Cheers!
    Congrats and the Manny is an excellent choice!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Congrats and the Manny is an excellent choice!
    Thanks buddy! It sure is going down pretty well. Already on my second one.
    Tyler

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tylermke View Post
    Thanks buddy! It sure is going down pretty well. Already on my second one.
    What did you decide on as your go to formula? Or have you been experimenting? That is what I enjoy most, making a small change with each cocktail make. Different vermouth, different bitters, maybe trying an Amaro. And did you find any replacement cherries yet?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    What did you decide on as your go to formula? Or have you been experimenting? That is what I enjoy most, making a small change with each cocktail make. Different vermouth, different bitters, maybe trying an Amaro. And did you find any replacement cherries yet?
    So far I find that I like somewhere between 3:1 and 2:1 and Angostura over Peychauds. Still light on my cocktail supplies/ingredients, but each week I try to add something different. Tonight I'm going to try with some Fee Brothers or perhaps change the ratios a little.

I did manage to find some replacement cherries this afternoon.
    Tyler

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I have entirely switched over to corn whiskey for my Bloody Marys. Today, it was Dixie Dew for the corn, and I also embellished by dropping in a couple slices of bacon.. . O! M! G!!!!! Awesome!! Somebody here, suggested this addition a little bit back, and it is fabulous. The bacon just amps up the savoriness of the cocktail, and blends perfectly with the corn whiskey. Only downside, was that it got a little unsettling enjoying this drink with a Sheltie eyeballin' me the entire time.... Luckily, I cooked up a few extra pieces for her.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Like, what? Whole slices? How many is "a couple"? Do you cook it first?

Inquiring minds want/need to know before they try this out. I have some Balcones True Blue 100 (love the slightly burnt popcorn taste) that I've only had neat but, well, it's bacon we're talking here.

[Couldn't find my tongue-in-cheek smiley to insert here. Maybe a smarta$$ will do.]
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 03-30-2014 at 15:10.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I have entirely switched over to corn whiskey for my Bloody Marys. Today, it was Dixie Dew for the corn, and I also embellished by dropping in a couple slices of bacon.. . O! M! G!!!!! Awesome!! Somebody here, suggested this addition a little bit back, and it is fabulous. The bacon just amps up the savoriness of the cocktail, and blends perfectly with the corn whiskey. Only downside, was that it got a little unsettling enjoying this drink with a Sheltie eyeballin' me the entire time.... Luckily, I cooked up a few extra pieces for her.

Alright Joe, you just blew my mind. I posted a couple weeks ago about having Sunday morning bourbon bloody's garnished with bacon and how yummy they are. Never thought of corn whiskey, but dang if doesn't make sense. And I always have some in stock.

Just finishing up a Sazerac rye Manhattan, and it looks like another bloody is in order, smokinjoe style.

What's a Sheltie?
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post

What's a Sheltie?
    A collie (as in the dog, like Lassie) that got washed and left in the dryer too long!

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

not bourbon related, but It meets my definition of a cockation, more than a single spirit and ice.

Put some Averna and Chartreuse together over ice and a slash of water to top it off. Made for a nice sipper while grilling.

I've really found that I enjoy "bitters/amaro/herbals" before dinner to wet the appetite a bit.

Tonight it did not fail.

That and the T-bone with a spinach/bacon/shroom salad with homemade blue cheese dressing didn't disappoint either.

whew!!

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Alright Joe, you just blew my mind. I posted a couple weeks ago about having Sunday morning bourbon bloody's garnished with bacon and how yummy they are. Never thought of corn whiskey, but dang if doesn't make sense. And I always have some in stock.

Just finishing up a Sazerac rye Manhattan, and it looks like another bloody is in order, smokinjoe style.

What's a Sheltie?
    Well, now I know who to thank for the bacon idea! Thanks, Phil! The corn whiskey works great. Gives the drink a heck of a lot more body and flavor.

Harry, the bacon is cooked. I did 2 pieces. I microwaved them, and they were just fine, as well as being easy. Made 'em crispyish. The cool and serendipitous thing is (and, I will repeat next time...), I crossed the pieces by accident on the plate while MWing, so they stuck together. Made for a nice "V" formation that sat up in the glass nicely, and allowed me to pick off some pieces for the aforementioned Sheltie (Shetland sheepdog, miniature collie, cool rainy weather lovin'-barkin'-shadow chasin', spaz...)
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama