Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Blood orange old-fashioned. One for me, one for my mom.

i usually minimize/skip the fruit but thought she would like it more that way.

1 sugar cube, 4 dashes angostura bitters, 4 dashes orange bitters, one thin slice of orange, 1 oz water, 2 oz sazerac rye

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I couldn't resist picking it up a couple of months ago, and finally popped the bottle of Fluid Dynamics aged cocktail, The St. Nick", on Christmas Eve. Not great, not bad, not particularly interesting, but it made for an event. .

Obviously, the St. Nick name was the bait and hook for me (savvy bit of branding on their part, and perfect for Suckers like moi). But,Fluid Dynamics??? Seems better suited for a hydraulic hose assembly company...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Warm day today here hit almost 40 (over 100 to most of you) so my afternoon included a couple dubonet and gins, which apparently was queen elizabeths favourite cocktail, now continuing the dubonet vibe with a WTR101 and dubonet manhattans

Advanced Taster

Got a few bottles for my New Year's party. Benedictine, Laird's bonded, and Art in the Age's Snap all made their way onto my bar.

Benedictine's a champ. It's taken me so long to pick up a bottle because I've recently been distracted by all these fleeting whiskeys and have frittered away my alcohol budget on them. The first drink I made with it was a Cocktail a la Louisiane. I was not disappointed. Fantastic drink. Everything else it touched fared well, albeit not as much so.

Laird's bonded is quite good for what it is. I've been meaning to fill in the non-grape, non-citrus fruit gap in my bar for a while and Laird's does it well.

Snap was a disappointment. I truly appreciate Art in the Age's philosophy on spirit-making and wanted to like their product. I got it expecting ginger liqueur and instead got ginger snap liqueur. I suppose it pays to read the description. Snap is just too odd to fit into most drinks.

This evening, I summoned Laird's for my potent potable.

Jack Rose
    2 oz. applejack (Laird's BiB, which isn't quite applejack)
    1 oz. lime
    1/2 oz. grenadine (homemade)

It was worth trying, but sours aren't my thing. I prefer more balance and harmony of flavors. Makes me itch for a Cocktail a la Louisiane.

Guru

Consider this for the Laird's BIB if you have the other ingredients.

A Moment of Silence

1 1⁄2 oz Rye
    1 oz Apry (Marie Brizard Apricot liqueur)
    1⁄2 oz Averna Amaro
    1⁄2 oz Angostura Bitters
    1⁄4 oz Lairds BIB
    Campari rinse
    Orange peel (as garnish)
    Rinse a rocks glass with Campari. Stir and strain over a single large cube into rinsed glass and garnish with an orange twist.

Also makes a nice Old Fashioned variation particularly if you use a cinnamon spiced simple syrup. I also like using chocolate mole bitters in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    Got a few bottles for my New Year's party. Benedictine, Laird's bonded, and Art in the Age's Snap all made their way onto my bar.

Benedictine's a champ. It's taken me so long to pick up a bottle because I've recently been distracted by all these fleeting whiskeys and have frittered away my alcohol budget on them. The first drink I made with it was a Cocktail a la Louisiane. I was not disappointed. Fantastic drink. Everything else it touched fared well, albeit not as much so.

Laird's bonded is quite good for what it is. I've been meaning to fill in the non-grape, non-citrus fruit gap in my bar for a while and Laird's does it well.

Snap was a disappointment. I truly appreciate Art in the Age's philosophy on spirit-making and wanted to like their product. I got it expecting ginger liqueur and instead got ginger snap liqueur. I suppose it pays to read the description. Snap is just too odd to fit into most drinks.

Jack Rose
    1 oz. lime

It was worth trying, but sours aren't my thing. I prefer more balance and harmony of flavors. Makes me itch for a Cocktail a la Louisiane.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Too much open gin and sweet vermouth, so I've been on a Negroni tear the last couple days. Polished a Martin Miller's Westborne and a Punt E Mes this evening. Negronked.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Consider this for the Laird's BIB if you have the other ingredients.

A Moment of Silence

1 1⁄2 oz Rye
    1 oz Apry (Marie Brizard Apricot liqueur)
    1⁄2 oz Averna Amaro
    1⁄2 oz Angostura Bitters
    1⁄4 oz Lairds BIB
    Campari rinse
    Orange peel (as garnish)
    Rinse a rocks glass with Campari. Stir and strain over a single large cube into rinsed glass and garnish with an orange twist.

Also makes a nice Old Fashioned variation particularly if you use a cinnamon spiced simple syrup. I also like using chocolate mole bitters in this.
    I like the sound of that, but apricot liqueur is currently absent from the bar. The non-grape, non-citrus fruit liquor debate was between applejack and apricot liqueur, and applejack ultimately won out as the seasonally appropriate choice. Apricot liqueur will get there one of these days, but it might take a while.

Tonight is TV's Mai Tai:
    1 oz. lime
    1/2 oz. curaçao (Hiram Walker's)
    1/2 oz. orgeat (homemade)
    1 oz. aged Jamaican rum (Coruba)
    1 oz. agricole (Clement VSOP)

Just picked up this weathered bottle of Coruba and felt compelled to utilize it. This was a good home for it. It's a bit hot straight, but then it's not meant as a sipper.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post

Jack Rose
    1 oz. lime

Still looking for a cocktail to fit you new ingredients! But you may not have the yellow chartreuse and green is a bit different.

Widow's Kiss

1 1⁄2 oz Apple brandy

3⁄4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

3⁄4 oz Bénédictine

3 dash Angostura

Shake with ice, strain and serve up in a chilled cocktail glass without garnish.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Crack in the weather with low 60's and Sunny skies, so plopping my arse out in the Sun on the patio with a Moscow Mule. Khorosho!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Yes, Yellow is impatiently tapping its foot out at the end of the line, waiting to step up to the bar. Have you tried it with Green? Is a 3:1 Green:simple a decent approximation?

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Still looking for a cocktail to fit you new ingredients! But you may not have the yellow chartreuse and green is a bit different.

Widow's Kiss

1 1⁄2 oz Apple brandy

3⁄4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

3⁄4 oz Bénédictine

3 dash Angostura

Shake with ice, strain and serve up in a chilled cocktail glass without garnish.
    Killed off a bottle of Lillet tonight on a Corpse Reviver No. 2. Hadn't had one in a while.

3/4 oz. gin (BIG Gin)
    3/4 oz. Cointreau (HW Triple Sec)
    3/4 oz. Lillet
    3/4 oz. lemon juice
    Dash absinthe (Pacifique)

Glad I used BIG Gin instead of Tanqueray Malacca. This is a good cocktail for something a bit more punchy. Very good balance. It would be nice to try this with some Cocchi to introduce bitterness and provide more depth.