Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Bufala Negra with a quick appetizer before dinner. Dinner should be good, pistachio crusted beef tenderloin. Got a nice Columbia, WA "Bordeaux" blend to go with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by petrel800; 01-26-2014 at 16:46.

Advanced Taster

Re: What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Winding down the weekend with an Old Crotchety Fashioned, this time with Old Forester Signature. I'm having the same problem as Joe though, I just killed my bottle of Angostura. These puny 4oz bottles just aren't going to cut it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
    They may be better, I've had two of those sacred three. But I was commenting on another board member posting that Noilly is "shitty" Sometimes, out here in the sticks, you can't get the higher end vermouths. Also sometimes one cant afford them. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes one must strive for "damn good" because "best" is not possible due to several factors. Don't get me wrong. I would love to party with someone who is pouring Manhattans with Carpano, PVW15 and some esotaric barrel aged small batch extra special rare edition bitters. It just isn't going to happen at my house or haunts.
    The last time I had Noilly Prat Dry I was very impressed for the price - not up to dolin dry per se, but quality stuff! What I can't figure out is if this was before or after the "recipe change" (or reversion) in the US - see http://www.alcademics.com/2013/08/re...-vermouth.html for the confusing details. Whichever the brand - for me the importance of vermouth is all about freshness - buy from a store that has a lot of turnover - keep it in the fridge - and drink it relatively quickly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by devillighter View Post
    The last time I had Noilly Prat Dry I was very impressed for the price - not up to dolin dry per se, but quality stuff! What I can't figure out is if this was before or after the "recipe change" (or reversion) in the US - see http://www.alcademics.com/2013/08/re...-vermouth.html for the confusing details. Whichever the brand - for me the importance of vermouth is all about freshness - buy from a store that has a lot of turnover - keep it in the fridge - and drink it relatively quickly.
    I try to get 375's when I can unless I am reasonably sure I am going to go through a 750 quickly and find that a vacuvin along with refrigeration really can help extend freshness. But when in doubt vermouth with a splash of soda or better yet bitter lemon tonic and a twist helps keep any excess to a minimum!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I seem to come back to the Sazerac now, almost always. Occasionally a Manhattan.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A Dry Martini, composed of about a half-dozen each gins and vodkas (more vodka than gin, I am aiming for the James Bond martini #2 that created the type), just a touch of Martini vermouth, and a long swirl of lemon rind. Two rocks. Really good light tasty cocktail, quite different from the hard rock whiskey cocktails I generally favour but as good in its way.

Also, I feel the balance of the liquors (mouth feel, flavour) is exactly right, and it took a while to get there.

Life is hard.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-30-2014 at 17:34.

Guru

Yet we face the struggle armed with manful fortitude or at least filled with something strong.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    A Dry Martini, composed of about a half-dozen each gins and vodkas (more vodka than gin, I am aiming for the James Bond martini #2 that created the type), just a touch of Martini vermouth, and a long swirl of lemon rind. Two rocks. Really good light tasty cocktail, quite different from the hard rock whiskey cocktails I generally favour but as good in its way.

Also, I feel the balance of the liquors (mouth feel, flavour) is exactly right, and it took a while to get there.

Life is hard.

Gary
    Wasn't that martini still more gin than vodka? Sounds almost a bit Vesper-ish if you were to sub Cochi for the vermouth.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

A Bloody Mary with Mellow Corn.
    Zing Zang BM mix
    Mellow Corn
    Coupla shakes of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire
    Coupla shakes Bitter Truth Celery Bitters
    A few sprinkles Old Bay Seasoning
    And, a squeeze of lime

The Mellow Corn is perfect in this cocktail.
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 02-09-2014 at 14:13. Reason: Wrong Bitters
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Made an 'Up to Date' using specifications from the PDT cocktail book. This 'old' label WT rye is just too good in cocktails (and in general) - should have stocked up even more than I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2090261.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	17753