Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Packaging

Connoisseur

Packaging

I suggest that anyone who has/will place an order with K&L call customer service, ask for David Driscoll, and request he include your packaging. I suggest clarifying that it be tear-free, stain-free and unwrinkled - in other words, exactly how it should be for an expensive bottle of whiskey they are making profit from (especially a $400 Karuizawa). Apparently, it is much easier for some retailers to take forms of paper from customers than it is for them to send them out. What a pompous article.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 10-08-2013 at 13:28.

Guru

Re: Packaging

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I suggest that anyone who has/will place an order with K&L call customer service, ask for David Driscoll, and request he include your packaging. I suggest clarifying that it be tear-free, stain-free and unwrinkled - in other words, exactly how it should be for an expensive bottle of whiskey they are making profit from (especially a $400 Karuizawa). Apparently, it is much easier for some retailers to take forms of paper from customers than it is for them to send them out. What a pompous article.
    I confess it didn't really bother me when I ordered several higher end bottles recently. I didn't expect the box/tube but I received them (in a separate box and in good condition!). Was actually a bit more work for me since I had to add them to my luggage and while they don't weigh much I didn't really want to damage them since they made it to me in good shape. That took a bit of doing. The only one that didn't have packaging was the Mortlach Signatory bottle. I guess that was one that he was refering to in the article. To be honest I liked getting the Glenfarclas box but was +/- on the tubes.

K&L scotch.JPG

Then again, I don't collect. My purpose in buying them was to drink them! Most likely the box/tube will end up holding something else like nuts and bolts if they don't end up in the recycling with the bottles.

I am not surprised other people have expectations attached to the receipt of the packaging. K&L should provide it but it doesn't seem unreasonable to charge a fair extra charge to ship it. They certainly wouldn't be the only web shipper to do so that I have seen.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I have no use for packaging myself yet I find Mr. Driscolls dilemma a bit amusing. A customer who can afford $400 for a bottle of hooch has demanding expectations? Welcome to the World of high end retailing Mr. D.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

You can't have it both ways. Part of eating a $200 steak is the restaurant it's served in. Part of drinking a $400 whiskey is the bottle/label/box it is presented in.

Guru

Have to agree, at some point rightly or wrongly it's the customers who define the packaging.

Guru

If you want that market segment, you need to figure out how to cater to them. Wal Mart doesn't try to offer every product because it doesn't fit in their business model. If going out of your way to package some packaging is going to put a dent in that, maybe you shouldn't offer those (or at least ensure it is very clear to anyone purchasing).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Apparently 60 or so of those customers didn't think it necessary to mention they expected the full package.

Virtuoso

Imagine i'd be pissed to order a new iPhone online...only to find that Verizon "couldn't be bothered to ship the costly Apple box" and stuffed it in a generic box filled with foam peanuts. I'm all for some logic in place for a $20 bottle, but how many of those come elaborately packed.

Disciple

I don't find anything pompous at all. Another of Dave D's acute observations on the current ways of spirits and life, which are dead on. I've also pitched every tube, box or bag for any I've opened (and some before) including a few from the '50s. Now if I ever own a pre-pro, I would possibly keep that.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Labeling everybody who would like a box a "collector" and non-drinker is painting a very broad swath of customers in a derogatory manner. While I'm sure there are some who fit that description, plenty of the buyers will drink those bottles.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof