It goes both ways - I agree that for most of us that drink our bottles, the packaging is a second thought... But even for me there are some I like to keep: I kept my ORVW23 box/glasses/decanter after finishing it because it's just a nice package - the Karuizawa almost falls into this category (not because of how nice the box is but) because this is likely most whisky-consuming Americans' chance at getting something from this distillery. The NOH masks are stunningly beautiful and I can see why people would want the Karuizawa packages.

Driscoll helped create the hype (although not much fuel is needed for this particular fire) - I don't think it is too much for customers to want the boxes in the first place. If it was damaged and people ask for replacement boxes, what's the big deal if customers are will pay for the shipping / hassle of getting them out? Yeah it's a hassle and KL is mitigating this by not providing packages for their exclusive expressions - great! Expectations set going forward...

Does it really matter when it's all said and done? Probably not but the fact that Driscoll's personal bias against what he views as silly consumer conceit for wanting packages is off putting (though I can sympathize with any retailer having to deal with difficult/*nal customers).