Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Dating two old bottles.....

I am new to straight bourbon and I have looked through some of the forums which are very educational but I have a few questions about some bottles I have acquired.

The first is from Park and Tilford which was in Midway, KY. My father said that it shut down sometime in the 60's so I believe that this is from either the 50's or 60's.

The second one is Old Echo Springs and from my research it was first bottled by Schenley but I am not sure when Heaven Hill took over the name.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Re: Dating two old bottles.....

Can't wait to hear what the bourbon detectives have to say about this one, cool bottles!

Guru

Very cool! That Echo Springs looks like dark cherry cola.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

These I've only heard about and would like to hear more, ages, proof and any other information on the label such as distillery and location.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    These I've only heard about and would like to hear more, ages, proof and any other information on the label such as distillery and location.

For the Old Echo Springs it is aged 7 years 90 proof and the label has Bottled by Echo Springs Distilling Company Louisville and Frankfort, KY

For the Kentucky Bred it states that it is 49 months old and is 90 proof. It is Bottled by Park and Tilford Distilleries Midway, KY and New York, NY. I know this one came from the one in Midway where my great grandfather worked.

Guru

Shows the emphasis of the times by bottling at 90 proof which was a step down from BIB yet still more than 86. This sort of thing was common knowledge before Bond said shaken not stirred.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Shows the emphasis of the times by bottling at 90 proof which was a step down from BIB yet still more than 86. This sort of thing was common knowledge before Bond said shaken not stirred.
    Would this thread get more traffic if I had posted it under History? New to this so I am not sure.

Guru

I don't think so, the brands are just not well known.

Echo Spring(s) is an old brand that originated in Clermont back in the 1880s on property adjacent to the Beam holdings and was eventually acquired by Beam who operated the on premises rock quarry during Prohibition. I don't think it was ever more than just another generic Bourbon brand but the label still survives under Heaven Hill ownership. I've had one bottle of the HH version and it tasted the same as Evan Williams Green label.

Park & Tilford was, like Austen Nichols, a New York company whose brands used whisky acquired under contract or from distilierys owned by them (they owned Old Overholt at one time) and they were bought out by Schenley in the early 1950s. I believe there are still some residual P&T labeled Canadian whiskys.

It is hard to tell from the photos but do both bottles have a warning embossed into the glass not to reuse them? That will narrow down the dates of the bottles. You can also look on the bottom and there might be a date stamp as to when the bottle was produced.

Connoisseur

Do the tax strips on the top have any dates? Are the bottles 4/5 quarts or 750ml? Is there a government warning or UPC code? I'd look on the bottom of the bottle too.