Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

Which whiskey to get in Ireland?

My wife is going to Ireland for 10 days and I'd like her to bring me home some Irish whiskey. What would you recommend that can't be purchased in the US?

Guru

Re: Which whiskey to get in Ireland?

Yellow. Spot.

If you can even find it there.

Enthusiast

Second on the Yellow Spot. Also if she can find it Green Spot is supposed to be quite good as well. Also any distillery only bottlings are worth her seeking out from the gift shop.

Enthusiast

I just saw this thread discussing Green Spot and other Irish whiskies - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ll-Irish-Today

Taster

Sounds like I need to tell her to find some colored spots to bring back.

Connoisseur

Powers John Lane is also awesome. It is supposedly available in the US but I've never seen it here. Both PJL and Yellow Spot were available in Shannon Duty Free last time I was there.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    Powers John Lane is also awesome. It is supposedly available in the US but I've never seen it here. Both PJL and Yellow Spot were available in Shannon Duty Free last time I was there.
    Thats odd, this is one of the few "special" whiskeys we seem to have available here, our local total wine has carried it since they opened last year. The spots though, those would be nice to have here.

For the OP my uncle brought me back a distillery edition 12 year from Jameson that has my name on the label. I have not opened it yet but when I do I'm going to compare it to their regular 12 year to see if I can taste a difference. It claims to be something different but we will see. Also, to echo others, do not get something there that you can get here, the prices are worse. Case in point that same uncle also brought me back a 700mL bottle of Jameson 18 year for a 100 euros, or something like $130 after exchange. I've seen that bottle for sale for less than $100 here and you get that extra 50mL.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Thats odd, this is one of the few "special" whiskeys we seem to have available here, our local total wine has carried it since they opened last year.
    PJL has been available here since around the beginning of this year. Green Spot rumored to be here in early 2014 with label approval done. No signs of Yellow Spot coming soon. In addition to label approval bottles have to be changed form 700 ml to 750 ml.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Looks like it comes in some awfully fancy "packaging" too . Not an obscene price ($200?) for a 21 year and it sure would be fun to taste with its Sauternes cask finish.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Looks like it comes in some awfully fancy "packaging" too . Not an obscene price ($200?) for a 21 year and it sure would be fun to taste with its Sauternes cask finish.

Pricey to be sure but about $165 without VAT which isn't awful and that Sauternes finish really has piqued my interest if I could only get a bottle. Supposedly also available at the airport duty free.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum