Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Faultline Bourbon from K&L

Should anyone decide to give this one a try that has regular access to K&L (I do not) I would be curious to hear what you think of the new Faultline bourbon.

I give David and K&L full marks for being upfront about what it is and where it is from. And that Smooth Ambler is involved also provides a certain positive weight to the potential for success. Not sure if it will quite reach the level of praise that "the final whiskey is phenomenal" as that is a subjective determination but I appreciate that he is after all just trying to sell the product!

But the real burning question is will the former LDI ever become known as MGP or is it destined to be LDI forever more?

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Re: Faultline Bourbon from K&L

I'd love to try some and review it but I'm afraid that would be too ego-driven of me.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    But the real burning question is will the former LDI ever become known as MGP or is it destined to be LDI forever more?
    Probably destined. In my field they call it precedent . As in the case of Stitzel-Weller, which was really the Old Fitzgerald Distillery from 1972 to 1992. And at least the LDI in the pipeline was distilled while LDI, unlike much what is called Stitzel-Weller .

And I'm curious myself Bruce with also no shipping by K & L to the Land of Lincoln.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Ahh yes. "100s of LDI bourbons"to use David's own words but this one is special because they blended 10 year and 7 year at 100 proof LDI, opening Pandora's box to bourbon greatness.

David D has a job to do; sell whiskey and talk/blog about selling whiskey. He does a great job at both.

Wonder if this will be a trend? Retailers going beyond barrel selections to private labels

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Ahh yes. "100s of LDI bourbons"to use David's own words but this one is special because they blended 10 year and 7 year at 100 proof LDI, opening Pandora's box to bourbon greatness.

David D has a job to do; sell whiskey and talk/blog about selling whiskey. He does a great job at both.

Wonder if this will be a trend? Retailers going beyond barrel selections to private labels
    At least a retailer should have a better sense of what will sell?

Spending time around Nashville this week and found a TN bourbon bottled by the big distributor down here. 2x the price of equivalent ER10 (which is what it reminded me of), but can't blame them for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    At least a retailer should have a better sense of what will sell?

Spending time around Nashville this week and found a TN bourbon bottled by the big distributor down here. 2x the price of equivalent ER10 (which is what it reminded me of), but can't blame them for trying.
    Guess that depends on who is more honest, a retailer or an independent bottler. I can't see that many higher aged stated bourbon of high quality will leave the KY stock selling suspects.

So that leaves LDI. No doubt there are some great barrels there. Finding them is the key.

Guru

were.

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Didn't TPS have plans for their own distillery at one point?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Didn't TPS have plans for their own distillery at one point?
    They are in the process of expanding the retail floor space, and adding tasting stations. The distillery is, as a guess, probably 1/2to 2/3 completed.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Virtuoso

Coincidentally, earlier today I asked my daughter, in the SF bay area, to stop by K&L and pick up a bottle of Faultline. I decided to try it because I mostly grew up in WV, wanted to support John Little, and for $40 it's not too expensive. I am not a huge fan of LDI/MGP bourbon, but I thought it would make a nice addition to a future tasting at my house, for variety and for comparison to the SA OS 10 year.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force