Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

WT Kentucky Spirit bottle differences

Saw two different bottles of WT Kentucky Spirit at a local shop last night, one priced in the normal $50 range, the other a decent amount higher ($65). Couldn't find anything on the bottle that indicated any different juice was inside, but I was curious about the reason for the price difference. Thoughts? The older bottle was cheaper. Pics of the two different bottles below...

Taster

Re: WT Kentucky Spirit bottle differences

There's a thread on here somewhere that lays out all the differences, but the dark top is older juice (it should have the date of the dump on the neck) and is widely considered better than the current stuff with the light colored top. Basically there are pewter tops from the 90's, then dark brown tops with an embossed turkey on them from the early 2000s, smooth dark brown tops from the later 2000's and the newer light colored tops. I've had a couple of bottles from mid-2003 that were superb. I would happily pay $65 for an embossed dark brown top from that era. I'm not sure about the smooth dark tops. I would choose something other than the current WTKS for $50.

Connoisseur

Thanks! The smooth dark brown top was definitely from 'later' 2000s. If memory serves, 2009. Found it odd that there was such a price difference between the two bottles.

Trippah and Admin

The progression is pewter, dark smooth, dark embossed and then the current lighter cherry wood embossed.

IMO, the label went downhill after the switch from smooth to embossed but there were still some good barrels in the dark embossed runs.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Looks like some evaporation in the older bottle; fill level appearis to be down a bit. Maybe they are pricing it to move compared to the newer bottle ...
    Mark

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    The progression is pewter, dark smooth, dark embossed and then the current lighter cherry wood embossed.

IMO, the label went downhill after the switch from smooth to embossed but there were still some good barrels in the dark embossed runs.
    Oops, you're correct. The '03 bottles I had were smooth tops.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Looks like some evaporation in the older bottle; fill level appearis to be down a bit. Maybe they are pricing it to move compared to the newer bottle ...
    Sorry, those were just pictures I pulled from the 'net for comparison. Looks like it's simply a case of old inventory, though I do find the drastic price difference to be bit odd. Maybe I'll grab the older bottle, been wanting to try WTKS.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    It's normal for it to look like that. Almost every WTKS I've seen looks like it's missing a little.

Here is the most recent list in the WTKS thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post279244
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.