Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing

Advanced Taster

Introducing

Dear SB-
    I really enjoy the random replies when people name the bourbon that introduced them to "good bourbon." Some call it their "gateway bourbon." With that in mind, what would you pour for a friend in order to introduce them to quality bourbon and the journey we all share?

My introduction to bourbon was Maker's Mark, to me Maker's was that difference between classic whisky flavor and bourbon.

Most recently, and since meeting all of you, Elijah Craig 12 showed me what bourbon can be. EC12 is quite a bourbon and I thank these boards!

Best,
    -Guy Debord

Disciple

Re: Introducing

Welcome to the board Guy. For me it was WT101. Look forward to your posts.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Welcome to the board Guy. For me it was WT101. Look forward to your posts.
    So was the WT101 your gateway and would that also be something you would pour for a buddy wanting to see the world?

Sorry, my post was a 2 parter not yet so clearly so.
    -Guy Debord

Disciple

No it was just my start. In fact I really don't enjoy it anymore but it's no lost because there are just so many great tastes at very good prices. I've really love all the 4R recipes and the YL is the only bottle I'll buy below 90 proof.

I'd start a friend off with one of those or OGD114, ETL, AAA10, EWBIB, HMcBIB, I could go on and on.

Connoisseur

I'd always been a whiskey fan since before I could legally drink. My uncle was a brand rep for Wild Turkey in the 80's and always brought us stuff. I stayed a bourbon drinker into my 20's and usually kept a bottle of Maker's or EC12 around because seemed to be the price/quality sweet spot. I discovered FRYL around 2007 and started keeping that around as my go-to. However, it was WLW that opened my eyes to high-end bourbon, though. I remember it like yesterday, where I was, who I was with, what I was wearing. Truly a magic moment.

Virtuoso

My gateway was getting on SB.com in 2002. Before then, it was the usual bourbons that a non-expert would drink - Makers, Knob Creek, Booker's - the stuff readily available.

After SB.com, I can't remember the first bourbon I had, but there were so many. I soon expanded from a couple open bottles to about 30. ;-)
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Enthusiast

Bulleit got me started and I have already used it as a gateway to get a friend started. I don't often drink it now, but I like rye heavy bourbons in general.

Virtuoso

I cut my teeth on some very good bourbon and TN whisk(e)y in the 80's (Old Fitz, WT 101, ER, OC 10, Beam, HH & EW BIBS, AAA 10 yr, Rebel Yell, Weller, JD, Dickel and pretty much anything put in front of me) and didn't really appreciate it at the time. I also drank a lot of stuff that was less than stellar, but youth didn't mind and my pocketbook didn't complain.

I went away from it for a time and then, upon my return, realized the error of my youth. That was my ahhhh haaa moment, and I haven't strayed again. Had I only known then what I know now, I truly would have appreciated what once was. At that time, during the glut, there was just so much good product going into the standard bottlings that we were fat and spoiled.

Thankfully, for the most part, the brands haven't changed and we continue to be spoiled rotten with fabulous bourbons readily available on the market. However, due to the demand market we are currently in, you'll never see a honey barrel slip through the distillery cleverly disguised as a standard bottling again. The industry has gone high tech and now the consumer is forced to look harder, spend more and hope for the best. Bottle by bottle...hit and miss...thick and thin.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Debord View Post
    Dear SB-
    I really enjoy the random replies when people name the bourbon that introduced them to "good bourbon." Some call it their "gateway bourbon." With that in mind, what would you pour for a friend in order to introduce them to quality bourbon and the journey we all share?

My introduction to bourbon was Maker's Mark, to me Maker's was that difference between classic whisky flavor and bourbon.

Most recently, and since meeting all of you, Elijah Craig 12 showed me what bourbon can be. EC12 is quite a bourbon and I thank these boards!

Best,
    EC12 is the one I thought of immediately.

Then I would give them ETL.

Advanced Taster

My gateway bourbon was Woodford Reserve. I started to really become hooked with EC12. And I turned into a real bourbon enthusiast with Four Roses SB.