Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    230

    Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    Why do more people need to know about it? Why is it still showing up in magazines and newspapers all over the land? Why are these whiskeys getting less retail distribution so they can send more to bars and restaurants so that more people can "experience" this whiskey thus building awareness? I know that they alone don't fuel the hype machine, but nevertheless why add any fuel at all?

    Who wins:

    • Flippers
    • Retailers that like to gouge


    Who loses:

    • Enthusiasts
    • Retailers that don't gouge (because they get 500 phone calls and send home angry customers empty handed)


    What is in this for BT/Julian? They haven't raised the price much, so they aren't really making much off this. Kudos to them for that. However, it doesn't really matter because so few people can actually get it at this price anymore. So what is the motivation? Is there a long term plan to drastically raise the price to finally balance out the supply and demand? Something else? Help me out guys and gals....
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

  2. #2
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    1,746

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    I would assumed they are building the brand for the future so that when they have a larger supply they can maintain the price points.

    Just like our friends from Scotland have done.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    333

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    The motivation is that they've created likely the single most sought after product in the liquor industry at the moment. They are certainly making money off of it - perhaps they could make a little more, but I think their primary motivation right now is to continue elevating the prestige of the brand and, by association, Buffalo Trace's other offerings.

    As mentioned above, they want to position themselves to be a Macallan/Balvenie/Glenfidditch/etc - an institution rather than a few year long fad.

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    405

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    To let people know that they are still making it. You wouldn't know from just walking into a liquor store. They have to keep the dream alive.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

  5. #5

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    The motivation is that they've created likely the single most sought after product in the liquor industry at the moment. They are certainly making money off of it - perhaps they could make a little more, but I think their primary motivation right now is to continue elevating the prestige of the brand and, by association, Buffalo Trace's other offerings.

    As mentioned above, they want to position themselves to be a Macallan/Balvenie/Glenfidditch/etc - an institution rather than a few year long fad.
    I think this is mostly it. If people widely consider BTAC/Pappy the best American whiskey in the world, it can help sell more Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac Rye, Blanton's, EH Taylor, and the like. As a consumer, I'd much prefer if they just priced their products honestly: We'd get a functional market for these goods, and they would get more money for their premium products. As it stands though, BT probably sells 100 bottles $35-$70 bourbon (up to EH Taylor) for every bottle of BTAC, so BTAC is almost more advertising for the business as the whole than it is a product to make money.

  6. #6

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    I think this is mostly it. If people widely consider BTAC/Pappy the best American whiskey in the world, it can help sell more Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac Rye, Blanton's, EH Taylor, and the like. As a consumer, I'd much prefer if they just priced their products honestly: We'd get a functional market for these goods, and they would get more money for their premium products. As it stands though, BT probably sells 100 bottles $35-$70 bourbon (up to EH Taylor) for every bottle of BTAC, so BTAC is almost more advertising for the business as the whole than it is a product to make money.
    I bet the ratio is closer to 1000:1 or even 10k:1 of regular release bottles sold to btac/pappy.

    I think the btac was born to do something with aging stock before the boom. Now it is bitten with the burden of fame. They don't have the aged stock to increase supply for a number of years. Thus it is used like a super model, splashed over the proverbial billboards behind high end bars, featured in style and fashion mags as simply "the best bourbon in existence."

  7. #7
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,811

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    Is Van Winkle paying for advertising or are they just being written about for free? I think it's the later. Van Winkle used to exhibit and pour at KY Bourbon sample & Festival (and pay the fee to do so) but they have not done so in years.

  8. #8
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    144

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    As others have touched on, it is about brand building. Some car companies have sold halo cars at a loss or lost millions of dollars in Formula 1 or other racing series just so that people will associate the name with the image and prestige of the top of the line car. This is also why car companies spend millions to build concept cars for auto shows that will never be commercially made and sold, it's to promote the brand ideals and inspiration.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    371

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Is Van Winkle paying for advertising or are they just being written about for free? I think it's the later. Van Winkle used to exhibit and pour at KY Bourbon sample & Festival (and pay the fee to do so) but they have not done so in years.
    They have an ad in the new Whisky Magazine

  10. #10
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,811

    Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    They have an ad in the new Whisky Magazine
    Well I would say that is very dumb. Although, I read an article about marketing and car ads. The gist was car TV ads are not designed to make you go out and buy that car; they are to make you feel good and become brand loyal about your recent purchase of said car. So maybe the ad is designed to convince those who went through all the trouble to obtain Pappy, that it was really worth it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Buffalo Trace Wheated Mash White Dog - AKA Baby Pappy
    By biskuit in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 10:24
  2. Pappy 15 vs. william larue weller (BTAC) question?
    By Enoch in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 20:49
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 18:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top