Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

Why do more people need to know about it? Why is it still showing up in magazines and newspapers all over the land? Why are these whiskeys getting less retail distribution so they can send more to bars and restaurants so that more people can "experience" this whiskey thus building awareness? I know that they alone don't fuel the hype machine, but nevertheless why add any fuel at all?

Who wins:

• Flippers
    • Retailers that like to gouge

Who loses:

• Enthusiasts
    • Retailers that don't gouge (because they get 500 phone calls and send home angry customers empty handed)

What is in this for BT/Julian? They haven't raised the price much, so they aren't really making much off this. Kudos to them for that. However, it doesn't really matter because so few people can actually get it at this price anymore. So what is the motivation? Is there a long term plan to drastically raise the price to finally balance out the supply and demand? Something else? Help me out guys and gals....
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Disciple

Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

I would assumed they are building the brand for the future so that when they have a larger supply they can maintain the price points.

Just like our friends from Scotland have done.

Enthusiast

The motivation is that they've created likely the single most sought after product in the liquor industry at the moment. They are certainly making money off of it - perhaps they could make a little more, but I think their primary motivation right now is to continue elevating the prestige of the brand and, by association, Buffalo Trace's other offerings.

As mentioned above, they want to position themselves to be a Macallan/Balvenie/Glenfidditch/etc - an institution rather than a few year long fad.

Enthusiast

To let people know that they are still making it. You wouldn't know from just walking into a liquor store. They have to keep the dream alive.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    The motivation is that they've created likely the single most sought after product in the liquor industry at the moment. They are certainly making money off of it - perhaps they could make a little more, but I think their primary motivation right now is to continue elevating the prestige of the brand and, by association, Buffalo Trace's other offerings.

As mentioned above, they want to position themselves to be a Macallan/Balvenie/Glenfidditch/etc - an institution rather than a few year long fad.
    I think this is mostly it. If people widely consider BTAC/Pappy the best American whiskey in the world, it can help sell more Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac Rye, Blanton's, EH Taylor, and the like. As a consumer, I'd much prefer if they just priced their products honestly: We'd get a functional market for these goods, and they would get more money for their premium products. As it stands though, BT probably sells 100 bottles $35-$70 bourbon (up to EH Taylor) for every bottle of BTAC, so BTAC is almost more advertising for the business as the whole than it is a product to make money.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Is Van Winkle paying for advertising or are they just being written about for free? I think it's the later. Van Winkle used to exhibit and pour at KY Bourbon sample & Festival (and pay the fee to do so) but they have not done so in years.

Advanced Taster

As others have touched on, it is about brand building. Some car companies have sold halo cars at a loss or lost millions of dollars in Formula 1 or other racing series just so that people will associate the name with the image and prestige of the top of the line car. This is also why car companies spend millions to build concept cars for auto shows that will never be commercially made and sold, it's to promote the brand ideals and inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    I think this is mostly it. If people widely consider BTAC/Pappy the best American whiskey in the world, it can help sell more Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Sazerac Rye, Blanton's, EH Taylor, and the like. As a consumer, I'd much prefer if they just priced their products honestly: We'd get a functional market for these goods, and they would get more money for their premium products. As it stands though, BT probably sells 100 bottles $35-$70 bourbon (up to EH Taylor) for every bottle of BTAC, so BTAC is almost more advertising for the business as the whole than it is a product to make money.
    I bet the ratio is closer to 1000:1 or even 10k:1 of regular release bottles sold to btac/pappy.

I think the btac was born to do something with aging stock before the boom. Now it is bitten with the burden of fame. They don't have the aged stock to increase supply for a number of years. Thus it is used like a super model, splashed over the proverbial billboards behind high end bars, featured in style and fashion mags as simply "the best bourbon in existence."

Virtuoso

Several years ago, I remember hearing retailers complain that their allocation of Pappy and BTAC was based on how much other Sazerac Company product they sold (not just bourbon but vodka and other products). I don't know if this is still the case (or if it ever was), but if allocations are based on such sales then the more demand there is for Pappy/BTAC, the more retailers will want them and the more incentive they will have to push other product.

Guru

With respect to marketing, it's always a coup to have your customers pay you to pimp your brand name on their body.

In any event, it looks like the allocation just got skimpier:

http://www.state-journal.com/local%2...ace-distillery
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof