Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

LOL an inside job huh? Wow. Sounds like lots will be going without this holiday season.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    With respect to marketing, it's always a coup to have your customers pay you to pimp your brand name on their body.

In any event, it looks like the allocation just got skimpier:

http://www.state-journal.com/local%2...ace-distillery
    Holy cow. Anybody have a subscription and able give us a summary of the article?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Several years ago, I remember hearing retailers complain that their allocation of Pappy and BTAC was based on how much other Sazerac Company product they sold (not just bourbon but vodka and other products). I don't know if this is still the case (or if it ever was), but if allocations are based on such sales then the more demand there is for Pappy/BTAC, the more retailers will want them and the more incentive they will have to push other product.
    And why not? That seems to make sense to fullfill the goals of the entire corporation. If their rain vodka sells better than some other well vodka it helps saz and doesn't change much for the well vodka consumer.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post
    What is in this for BT/Julian? They haven't raised the price much, so they aren't really making much off this.
    I don't agree with that statement. The price has gone up quite a bit. Even at non-gouging retailers. Did anyone get Pappy 15 for $50 last year? That's what it was in 2011. BTAC had at least a 20% increase in price last year as well.
    -SOB-

Virtuoso

I bought Stagg and Weller from the same store in 2012 and 2013. In 2012 it was $67.49, in 2013 it was $94.99. That obviously isn't indicative of what wholesale might be, but it is what it is.

Connoisseur

My first BTAC was 59.99 for ER17 and Stagg in 2011. Last year, same store, 119.99. I didn't realize the change until she rang me up, and I wanted the bottles, so I let her run the card. But as I walked out I vowed never to buy from them again, and I haven't. Wonder how much they'll try to jack it up this year? I won't be around to find out.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I bought Stagg and Weller from the same store in 2012 and 2013. In 2012 it was $67.49, in 2013 it was $94.99. That obviously isn't indicative of what wholesale might be, but it is what it is.
    To leap off Yeti's data, when it sells out before it hits the shelves, i can't begrudge them for making a bit more off it. The labor costs for answering the phones and saying "no we're out" alone will eat that up. Is a store gets 10 bottles and makes an extra $20/bottle....nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Last edited by theglobalguy; 10-16-2013 at 13:49. Reason: spell check failed me!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I bought my first Staggs in 2004 @ $35. I think MSRP is $70, this year? Arguably, the greatest whiskey on the planet simply doubling to a very reasonable $70 in 9 years? We should Kiss BT's big, hairy, bison butt...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I bought my first Staggs in 2004 @ $35. I think MSRP is $70, this year? Arguably, the greatest whiskey on the planet simply doubling to a very reasonable $70 in 9 years? We should Kiss BT's big, hairy, bison butt...
    I would if I could, Joe...
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    $35? Good deal. I remember it being $50 in 2002 when it first came out. BTW, the 15 yr old VW then was ORVW and it was $35.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force