Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

To those that say it is all about brand image, I have one friendly bit of counterpoint. Scarcity is good for brand image as long as you eventually get to scratch the itch. What good is brand image if no one can ever buy it? Seems to me like it would have the reverse effect. It is hard to get a gold iPhone 5s right now, but in 2 months I'll be able to walk into any store and get one. When will I be able to walk into any store and get some Pappy?

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Several years ago, I remember hearing retailers complain that their allocation of Pappy and BTAC was based on how much other Sazerac Company product they sold (not just bourbon but vodka and other products). I don't know if this is still the case (or if it ever was), but if allocations are based on such sales then the more demand there is for Pappy/BTAC, the more retailers will want them and the more incentive they will have to push other product.
    This makes a little more sense, and yes I know at least the distributors were pushing this. Who knows if big daddy BT was condoning this behind the scenes or not. (Probably so)

In either case, this doesn't really work when you don't really reward these people. As it stands now, it seems like each retailer is getting less and less no matter how much regular BT product they sell.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Advanced Taster

What I have been hoping for it that BT and Julian realized about 10 to 15 years ago how popular their product was, matched the recipe as much as possible and made started to up production. The stuff we get now has BT juice in it. So hopefully we will see a increase in supply.

Advanced Taster

I have been thinking along the same lines of Fussychicken and BourbonGuy's posts regarding Pappy and BTAC. I wonder how much of the "limited" availability is due to lack of production versus strictly marketing? On one hand if they were making limited quantities before they became the vogue brands, it makes sense that they could have increased production to keep up with demand. However, that increased demand just may not be aged for distribution yet, but eventually we could see more availability.

On the other hand, if they make it too available now it might lose some of that mystique, the demand dips a bit and prices may dip too. Therefore they are making the same money either way, but they get the free publicity with the lower demand. My guess is this is a delicate line, and they have calculated the proper way to walk that line.

I also agree that if you never get to "scratch that itch" it could get annoying. I would guess that is why you see little hills in release quantities...or maybe I am overthinking the whole thing.

Virtuoso

I'm going to say something that is probably going to piss some people off.

It's not that hard to get BTAC bottles. It may be hard to get all of them each year, or to get them for $80 or less, or to get a whole case of any one release... But it's not that hard to get a bottle of Antique. If you really, REALLY wanna scratch that itch, many people can. Especially people in this community. Make a personal connection with your local retailer, the one with the high end stuff that charges $2 extra for each 6-pack of beer. Buy your beer there. All the time. And chat them up, let them see your face, and remember your name from the credit card you're swiping all the time. Offer to open a bottle you just purchased, or bring something in to share when you know business will be slow. It's basically a reverse sales pitch, you're selling yourself to them as a good and appreciative customer. If that's too much work for you then sign up for the lotteries and the lines, and play the "luck" game like the vast majority of people do. Some of those people get what they want as well.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

It's not that hard to get BTAC bottles. It may be hard to get all of them each year, or to get them for $80 or less, or to get a whole case of any one release... But it's not that hard to get a bottle of Antique. If you really, REALLY wanna scratch that itch, many people can. Especially people in this community. Make a personal connection with your local retailer, the one with the high end stuff that charges $2 extra for each 6-pack of beer. Buy your beer there. All the time. And chat them up, let them see your face, and remember your name from the credit card you're swiping all the time. Offer to open a bottle you just purchased, or bring something in to share when you know business will be slow. It's basically a reverse sales pitch, you're selling yourself to them as a good and appreciative customer. If that's too much work for you then sign up for the lotteries and the lines, and play the "luck" game like the vast majority of people do. Some of those people get what they want as well.
    True enough - but that actually sounds "hard" to me. I shop in too many different locations (for different things) to ever make the reverse sales pitch effective, and I'm not standing in any lines. It is just not that important to me to chase.

I've got 3 different years of THH, two Saz 18's, 2 WLW's and one each of PVW 15, 20 and 23. All except the PVW 15 I found on shelves in the last 3 years (although nothing at all in the last year). All purchased for appropriate retail at the time; nothing off secondary market. So I'll either wait for the market to cool, supply to increase, or what is most likely, just make due with what I got and be at peace.
    Mark

Enthusiast

It's not that hard to get BTAC bottles. It may be hard to get all of them each year, or to get them for $80 or less, or to get a whole case of any one release... But it's not that hard to get a bottle of Antique. If you really, REALLY wanna scratch that itch, many people can.
    Absolutely TRUE - even in Ontario where the allocation is tiny (18 bottles or less of each for a province of ~14 million). I managed to get one bottle of each - except the Saz18 - earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    True enough - but that actually sounds "hard" to me.
    All good things in life come to those who work for it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Absolutely TRUE - even in Ontario where the allocation is tiny (18 bottles or less of each for a province of ~14 million). I managed to get one bottle of each - except the Saz18 - earlier this year.

All good things in life come to those who work for it.
    I'm with Yeti and Portwood on this. The scorched earth idea of scouring the county store by store may work for some, but it's too frustrating and I'd rather spend my time on other things.

Do I shop elsewhere when on vacation? Hell yah! But otherwise I'm highly loyal to two local shops and have benefitted greatly from those relationships.

Connoisseur

I bought Stagg and Weller from the same store in 2012 and 2013. In 2012 it was $67.49, in 2013 it was $94.99. That obviously isn't indicative of what wholesale might be, but it is what it is.
    I bought from a tiny store in KY not far from the BT distillery and this year it was the same price as last year, $69.99. However, I also purchased by first BTAC in state just yesterday and it was $120 after tax ($95 before tax) and thats with very little markup for the store itself, almost all that markup is just our states system.

Enthusiast

I'm a relative newbie in this game, but I got three (WLW, THH, ER17) this year. Three different ways - lottery, just seeing it on the shelf (albeit on Day 1 of availability here) and chatting up a store owner. The third/Yeti method is obviously the most effective but requires more effort. I have a lot of liquor store options with variable convenience, selection and price points, and have probably spread my purchases too thin in the past to curry much favor, but I think I may have found my go-to spot now.

It's kind of like when you were a kid, what was that commercial - "it's fun to collect the whole set"? I'd like to see the nice pretty collection all lined up in a row, but ultimately I'm going to drink them. I'll make some effort, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I come up short. If one doesn't get the BTAC selection(s) or Pappy they want, there's still plenty of great bourbon available out there. Most of it at a cheaper price.

Adios boys and girls, I think it's time to go buy some bourbon, and then drink some of it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    Adios boys and girls, I think it's time to go buy some bourbon, and then drink some of it.
    Tony, that quote would make a perfect tag line.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel