Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Enthusiast

Re: Why do Buffalo Trace and Julian continue to market Pappy and BTAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I'm going to say something that is probably going to piss some people off.

It's not that hard to get BTAC bottles. It may be hard to get all of them each year, or to get them for $80 or less, or to get a whole case of any one release... But it's not that hard to get a bottle of Antique. If you really, REALLY wanna scratch that itch, many people can. Especially people in this community. Make a personal connection with your local retailer, the one with the high end stuff that charges $2 extra for each 6-pack of beer. Buy your beer there. All the time. And chat them up, let them see your face, and remember your name from the credit card you're swiping all the time. Offer to open a bottle you just purchased, or bring something in to share when you know business will be slow. It's basically a reverse sales pitch, you're selling yourself to them as a good and appreciative customer. If that's too much work for you then sign up for the lotteries and the lines, and play the "luck" game like the vast majority of people do. Some of those people get what they want as well.
    This really depends on where you live how easy this is. I do most of my shopping at one store, they know me. I'm still probably down in the 1000s on their list of best customers no matter how much i would spend there. Too many ballers in this town. Tons of competition. No release has lasted more than a day (hours really) in 2 years.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I'm going to say something that is probably going to piss some people off.

It's not that hard to get BTAC bottles. It may be hard to get all of them each year, or to get them for $80 or less, or to get a whole case of any one release... But it's not that hard to get a bottle of Antique. If you really, REALLY wanna scratch that itch, many people can. Especially people in this community. Make a personal connection with your local retailer, the one with the high end stuff that charges $2 extra for each 6-pack of beer. Buy your beer there. All the time. And chat them up, let them see your face, and remember your name from the credit card you're swiping all the time. Offer to open a bottle you just purchased, or bring something in to share when you know business will be slow. It's basically a reverse sales pitch, you're selling yourself to them as a good and appreciative customer. If that's too much work for you then sign up for the lotteries and the lines, and play the "luck" game like the vast majority of people do. Some of those people get what they want as well.
    This may be valid in some areas of the country, but in the Seattle market there is no such thing as a "local retailer" that isn't Total Wine or BevMo that will have any chance of getting PVW or BTAC from the distributor. The Total Wine and BevMo's of the world don't practice preferential treatment as a general rule - every customer is equal, they just need to be in the right place at the right time.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    This may be valid in some areas of the country, but in the Seattle market there is no such thing as a "local retailer" that isn't Total Wine or BevMo that will have any chance of getting PVW or BTAC from the distributor. The Total Wine and BevMo's of the world don't practice preferential treatment as a general rule - every customer is equal, they just need to be in the right place at the right time.
    That's not true, but nearly so. There are several locals I can think of who will get allotments and help regulars get their hands on one, you just have to seek them out
    Last edited by MtnDew; 10-19-2013 at 11:16.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    I can't speak for those two chains, but don't assume that a manager can't hold product back for a friend or loyal customer. I've watched two people ask same question to the same staff back to back in a few big box stores in recent months only to get very different responses.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Is Van Winkle paying for advertising or are they just being written about for free? I think it's the later. Van Winkle used to exhibit and pour at KY Bourbon sample & Festival (and pay the fee to do so) but they have not done so in years.
    They have an ad in the new Whisky Magazine

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    I don't agree with that statement. The price has gone up quite a bit. Even at non-gouging retailers. Did anyone get Pappy 15 for $50 last year? That's what it was in 2011. BTAC had at least a 20% increase in price last year as well.
    I got could of got pvw15f or $65 last year but opted for the 20yr at $112.

i did get Stagg this year for $67 though.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    They have an ad in the new Whisky Magazine
    Well I would say that is very dumb. Although, I read an article about marketing and car ads. The gist was car TV ads are not designed to make you go out and buy that car; they are to make you feel good and become brand loyal about your recent purchase of said car. So maybe the ad is designed to convince those who went through all the trouble to obtain Pappy, that it was really worth it.