Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Medley Brothers Bourbon

Here's something to look for that's just being rolled out now. Medley Brothers Bourbon. This is from Charles Medley and his son, Sam, who have been doing the Wathen's Single Barrel for about 15 years now. This is a four year old bourbon, 102 proof, for about $25. Virtually the same label as the 1950s, showing the five Medley brothers.

It's NDP, but Kentucky-made (not LDI). It's similar to Angel's Envy in that Charles Medley, like Lincoln Henderson, spent his whole career as a hands-on distiller, so he's doing the quality control, i.e., picking the barrels. Their products are contract distilled, not bulk, and use their mash bill. Wathen, second from the right, is the father of Charles, grandfather of Sam.

Earlier this year they also came out with a 12-year-old, and it's very good, but also very limited. The Medley Brothers will be in ten states initially. I know Kentucky and Illinois are two of them. I know, it's just an NDP whiskey with a story, but it's good whiskey and a true story.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso
    Interested. I had like Wathen's and was about to start a thread why no one talk about them much recent years.

I think I will give this a try if I happen to see it here.

Thanks,

Connoisseur

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

Any idea what the mash bill is?

Guru

Saw this one over the weekend but passed on it. Haven't really heard much if anything about it to this point.

Enthusiast

I would much rather see EW white label show up here in NYC.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Connoisseur

Do we know if it's coming to Indiana?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I saw a list of the other states but I don't recall where and now I can't find it. They did Kentucky first.

I had dinner with Sam Medley last night and we talked a lot about the mash bill. It has been the Medley family mash bill at least since the generation of the five brothers, maybe longer. It is 77% corn, 10% rye, 13% malt. All three of their expressions use that mash bill.

We also talked about the fact that they have bootstrapped this business, which is why it took them 15 years to expand the line. They don't have any investors, it's just the family.

If I remember correctly, the suggested retail prices are:

Medley Brothers - $25
    Wathen Single Barrel - $35
    Medley 12-year-old - $50

Enthusiast

I saw this today at Eric's store in Elizabethtown. Was surprised as this is the first I have heard of it. I have been a fan of Wathens and the 12 yr "Old Medley" releases. IMHO both are quite good. Kind of dismissed this when I saw it but now think maybe I should give it a try.

Guru

I'm glad to know that the story is real. I will be sure to pick some up when I get the chance!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It's NDP, but Kentucky-made (not LDI). It's similar to Angel's Envy in that Charles Medley, like Lincoln Henderson, spent his whole career as a hands-on distiller, so he's doing the quality control, i.e., picking the barrels. Their products are contract distilled, not bulk, and use their mash bill.
    Who in Kentucky contract distills unique mash bills? Not many people left that will do that...

Any idea where they are keeping their barrels?

I've always hoped the Medleys would be able to open back up Owensboro one day. So many good comments about the bourbon that used to come out of that distillery.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter