Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    That only matters if you add water or want to get drunk. It you drink it neat and don't care about getting drunk then 750ml is 750ml.
    Sorry, but that's an absurd statement. Bottled whiskey is a water and alcohol solution. You're paying for the alcohol. You're getting more for your money at 51% ABV than you are at 40%.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    You don't care too much?? Wouldn't natural curiosity lead you to wonder where they're contract distilling? As a leading Bourbon Journalist, wouldn't you have asked Sam that question when you had dinner together? I know that you'll say that the mash-bill and their blending selection is more important, but why leave out this small piece of the puzzle? Oh well...
    Now you're just being an idiot. Of course I asked Sam that question. It was the very first question I asked. I said I don't care too much, not that I don't care at all. Of course I'm curious, but I don't let not getting my way all the time make me a sourpuss like some people.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Now you're just being an idiot. Of course I asked Sam that question. It was the very first question I asked. I said I don't care too much, not that I don't care at all. Of course I'm curious, but I don't let not getting my way all the time make me a sourpuss like some people.
    You could have said as much in your earlier posts, in regards to who distills it. But if you'd rather bully and resort to name-calling, well, I've seen it before.

Connoisseur

Hey, what if Sam told him and asked Chuck not to reveal the info to the public? Or maybe he did not tell him who made it. In either case it is none of our business. And it would not be very upstanding of Chuck to reveal the source if he was not asked to, so why jump on him?

Connoisseur

Either way, if the Medleys are behind it, it will be good product, kudos to them for actually doing it contract instead of bulk. I will support them by buying a bottle for sure.

Disciple

I respect Chuck's opinion and will definitely pick up a bottle of this when I see it.

Connoisseur

I did a little looking around and was able to see Wathens and Medly 12 in several places. I've enjoyed Wathens in the past. Not too much lately, simply because there is so much competition in that price range. I would definitely try the Medly Brothers Bourbon for $25, at least one bottle to see if I like it.

I have to admit that I was surprised by this post. For quite some time I have generally considered Chuck as a bit harsh when it comes to Non-Distiller Producers. This isn't to say that I don't value Chuckís opinion; he truly has a wealth of knowledge. Part of my viewpoint came from a post about High West on his blog several years ago.

I personally really enjoy High West's products and feel they are as honest as possible in presenting them. For example high west's double rye states on the label that it is "An unusual shotgun mariage of two rye whiskies from two different distilleries back east, DOUBLE RYE!" it further describes the mashmill of each.

Wathens Single Barrel states "Bottled By Charles Medley Distillery Fairfield, CA Distilled in Kentucky." No further information except the prominent ďeight generationsĒ on the front label. In my opinion leading many people believe that it is eight years old. I feel the High West label is more honest, but Mr. Cowdery has termed HW a "Potemkin Distillery."

I personally do not so much enjoy the Medley line of products, although I have not had the chance to try the new Medley Brothers Bourbon. I also donít tend to prefer HH products, so maybe this is an indication of the source, always a hot topic on this forum.

In the end, what it comes down to is a personal preference. Iím glad that Chuck admits ďÖitís just NDP whiskey with a story, but itís good whiskey and a true story.Ē Iím just shocked that all it took was some dinner to sway his review so far. Either that, or the whiskey that he had was just that good. I suppose Iíll have to pour another glass of each and revisit, it could be that I was having an off night when I tried this product previously. For the sake of fairness I have had dinner with Troy Karnes from High West, and it is theoretically possible that free dinner makes any whiskey better.

This also brings to mind the question of consistency. Could it be possible that the Medley products I have had are different from those that Chuck has had? Are they even from the same source? Consistency isnít just an issue with NDPs it is also an issue with distillers, but most big ones seem to have solutions on hand to keep quality in check. I ran into this issue with a black maple hill 16yr. A friend swore it was delicious, I thought it was over rated. We brought both of our bottles together and agreed that his was in fact excellent, and the bottle I had was sub par. No way to distinguish between the two by label.

Most likely my tastes just differ from Chuckís. Nothing wrong with that. I was just surprised that it was even possible for him to enjoy NDP products.

Guru

Interesting.

Think Ill just go grab a new Campfire when it comes out and skip the Medley stuff.

Disciple

In Chuck's defense, he has come around quite a bit on High West.
    Jim