Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    I find it annoying when people talk about whiskey that doesn't exist yet.

I also find it annoying when people talk about what whiskey tastes like. Taste is completely subjective so what is there to talk about?

I also find it annoying when some people tell others what they should talk about.
    I miss Andy Rooney.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    I miss Andy Rooney.
    I don't miss Andy Rooney wannabees ...
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I also think it's possible to draw lines and say this person has gone too far. I respect others who want to draw the lines a little differently.
    Well said. There are definitely other producers whose offenses are far worse than the Medleys.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    One reason I decided to write about it was because I found the whiskey surprisingly good. The 12-year-old, on the other hand, is good but about what you'd expect from a 12-year-old, i.e., not outstanding. I think the Medley Brothers is outstanding for a 4-year-old, which is why I called it out.
    I didn't bother to disclose that my sister works for a distributor that carries Wathen's / Medley since I was being critical of them. I was pretty indifferent to the Wathen's Single Barrel that I tried, but maybe I'll see if I can convince her to bring a sample bottle of the new Medley Brothers to Thanksgiving if it's available in her area.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Frankly, I enjoy discussions about whiskey, regardless of price. I quickly tire when the opinions go to price, relative value, etc, too close to the front end of the discussion. Yes, I'd like to pay $11 dollars for every bottle of bourbon that I buy, but the end for enthusiasts can't be that the trump card when judging a whiskey is how it compares to the lower cost "alternative". Simply, I've grown somewhat bored of the "I'd rather have 4 bottles of such-n-such $11 dollar whiskey, for what I could get 1 of these for..." But as always, YMMV.
    Price does become a factor at some point, but its a little ways down on the list. I decide how much I would like a bottle of something, based on how happy it makes me when I drink it, or how happy I expect it to make me (based off of reviews if I haven't tried it). Price does come into play when I am deciding whether I like it enough to spend money on it, but it has no impact on whether I like it or not. If they started selling Evan Williams for $1 a gallon, I wouldn't buy anymore of it that I do today. We could have hours of conversations about the spectacular value, but that holds little interest to me.

I don't view bourbon as a commodity, so the comment about the QPR card "winning" just seems a little absurd to me. When I am buying a bottle for my personal collection, its about what that bottle adds to the collection, not QPR in a vacuum. If I decide I would like a better variety of rye heavy bourbons, I am going to be willing to pay more for a bottle that fits that profile, than I would for a wheated bourbon of equal quality.

Connoisseur

I'm reviving an older thread. It so happens that I unexpectedly found some Medley Bros. Bourbon locally today. I have a glass in front of me now, and I like it. It's a little sweet, has a nice texture, and nearly no alcohol burn at all for 102 proof. I may have to revisit it several times to write a more complicated review. Overall, I give it a positive review. I don't think the bottle will last a long time in the cabinet. I would buy it again.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I'm reviving an older thread. It so happens that I unexpectedly found some Medley Bros. Bourbon locally today. I have a glass in front of me now, and I like it. It's a little sweet, has a nice texture, and nearly no alcohol burn at all for 102 proof. I may have to revisit it several times to write a more complicated review. Overall, I give it a positive review. I don't think the bottle will last a long time in the cabinet. I would buy it again.
    Quite a timely necro. It's interesting to read Mr. Cowdery's perspective on these guys, as well the general forum perspective on alcoholic baby wipes. All that aside, Medley Bros is about 30 minutes from my parents' house, and I will be sitting said house/associated menagerie for at least a week, so I think I'll head down there and poke around, say hi.
    Eric

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    ...nearly no alcohol burn at all for 102 proof.
    I had chance to taste the Medley Brothers, Wathens, and Old Medley 12 year yesterday at a trade event. Sam Medley himself was there pouring his wares, although it appeared he'd rather have been somewhere else--he wasn't much interested in talking or giving more than a basic rundown on his products. Overall, this event wasn't the best environment for contemplating whiskey, but, in my cursory examination, all three bourbons were pleasant enough. The Medley Brothers definitely didn't come across as 102 proof; very easy drinking, but not watery either.

Connoisseur

Enjoyed a pour of the Old Medley 12 tonight. Still undecided if it's worth the price, but it's starting to work for me after the first couple pours were not hitting the right notes.

Virtuoso

Bump - in MA now, saw it at $23-$24. I'll pick one up and give it a try.
    Mark

Connoisseur

Thanks for the bump. Because of the newer thread on the sale of the old Medley distillery and the comments there, I visited here. Ended up reading the whole thing. SB is endlessly entertaining - what a group we are. If we were bottled, we'd be a 4-star whisky at a bottom shelf price. Just my opinion of course. Your mileage may differ (YMMD, yeah, I had to look it up).