Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

Seeing this thread revived makes me want revise my previous post. More time with the 12 yr and I have to say it doesn't work for me. I'd be more interested at half the price, but the reality is that this one is just not in my wheelhouse so on second thought I'd not go after it even at half the price. I'll take WT101 and VOB BIB instead.

Connoisseur

I've been interested in the 12, but just can't pull the trigger on anything expensive and low proof.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The folks behind the Medley line, Charles Medley and his son, Sam, will be involved again with the Owensboro distillery and have been working with the new owners. Charles, who is 72, and was the last person to run that distillery 22 years ago, will help them get it started. They have some renovation to do first but could be up and running in about a year.

The Medleys, whose whiskey is contract-distilled for them elsewhere in Kentucky, hope to make their whiskey right there at their old family distillery in the future. It will be made naturally, not by using any of Terrasentia's 'processes,' so Sam Medley tells me.

Virtuoso

Well that is good news, Chuck.

I want to pick up a Medley Bros., because I do like the 12yo and one of the aspects I like about it is mouthfeel. If that is coming from the high malted barley content, it is something that is a bit unique in the bourbons I've tried so it has my interest. Should have bought it when I saw it, but it appeared that there was a decent amount on the shelf.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

That is a positive development Chuck, let's hope it comes to fruition. The terrasentia website did mention traditional distillation, hopefully they'll let Charles Medley show them how it's done.

Connoisseur

I did pick up another bottle of Medley Bros. while I was in KY. The last bottle I had didn't last long. Then my local stores never got any more.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I did pick up another bottle of Medley Bros. while I was in KY. The last bottle I had didn't last long. Then my local stores never got any more.
    Paul, just let me know if you need more, we stock it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I want to pick up a Medley Bros., because I do like the 12yo and one of the aspects I like about it is mouthfeel. ...
    That mouthfeel is in the Single Barrel and why I always have a bottle around...my current a Binny's handpicked that is terrific.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Thanks Ben, I'll keep that in mind. Keep those barrel selections coming too.

Virtuoso

I picked up a couple @ $24 and this inexperienced palate is impressed.

For those that like George Dickel 12, HH BIB 4 or 6, I think you would like this. My initial impression (poured after a tough day so I know my impressions are probably skewed a bit):

It has a nice kick at 102 proof that gives it an edge over GD.
    Great mouthfeel, sweetness balanced by the mild burn on the finish, and there is a fruity sweetness that emerges. Very satisfying.

For the QPR folks out there: I love the HH BiBs, but if you are wondering is the extra $8-$12 bucks worth the experience, "YES". Why? On the HH BiBs, I at times pick up a slightly vegetal note on the finish - nothing off-putting, but nonetheless it is there. There is only a very very slight bit of that here a minute or so after the swallow - even if this is 4 yrs and a day, it is well-balanced.

I don't drink enough for $8 or $10 a bottle to bother me if the experience is different enough, and this is to me. Again for the QPR folks, a bottle of GD12 around me is now $28 - if I'm buying that, I'm definitely buying this - give it a try.
    Mark