Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Really? Go suck on some baby wipes.
    Factoring in proof, Medley Brothers is still a better value than baby wipes.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I would think so, but I've never tried the two blind, SBS.

Virtuoso

Baby wipes aren't as good now as they used to be. Once the old Johnson & Johnson plant closed they changed the formula and now they are thin and harsher on the entry. BUT if you can find some packages without a SKU and in the old foil.....heaven.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Baby wipes aren't as good now as they used to be. Once the old Johnson & Johnson plant closed they changed the formula and now they are thin and harsher on the entry. BUT if you can find some packages without a SKU and in the old foil.....heaven.
    The gold foil are the new humidor set....... I couldn't help it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post

NOW this thread has gotten interesting!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think the comparison between High West and Medley is more than a bit of a stretch. The story with High West is that they came out of the gate fudging their story and leading people to believe they made Rendezvous. They got called on it and changed their tone immediately. Good for them. I think everyone now understands what High West does and that's the point. The whole "Potemkin Distillery" thing represented a particular moment in the evolution of the young micro-distiller and micro-producer movement. These days, David Perkins says he cares very much about what he distills and wants to be known for that and I have had no reason to doubt him. What's said is said, and I don't take anything back, but I've got no issues with High West now.

Medley has never been anything other than straightforward about who they are and what they do, the family has a rich history, and Charles himself has a 50 year reputation in the industry. That means something to me, maybe not to everybody.

I used to be very tough on all NDPs. Now I mainly save my ire for people who I feel I can't trust (Templeton, Michter's), and I've indicated my respect for people like the Pogues and Zoellers (Jefferson's) who have managed to maintain high quality standards in the bottle despite the trials and tribulations of being an NDP today. Since so many micro-producers go for the young, undistinguished whiskey in a fancy bottle at an inflated price, I was glad to see Medley doing a high quality popular price whiskey in a nostalgic package. It's a different choice.

My attitudes about some things have changed and so have my relationships with some people. We learn, we grow...at least some of us do.

As for the people who just seem to want to hate on me, or at least prove that I have feet of clay, that's their problem.
    Last edited by cowdery; 10-20-2013 at 14:51.

Connoisseur

Easy to winnow the grain from the chaff here, but the chaff is pretty amusing, at times.

Guru

Didn't realize there was an attempt to deceive by HW, initially. Very interesting, seeing as how they're one of the most transparent NDPs out there now.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In fairness to them, it may even have been more of a failure to give clear directions to the people who were doing publicity for them. They came out with this big burst of initial publicity, all over Utah media, about this new rye whiskey made in Utah, which of course was not. I'll even concede a possible overreaction on my part, after just having gone through the same sort of thing with Templeton, and both of them took the initial approach of coming down hard on me personally, directly and through their sock puppets, which didn't help matters. I'm not trying to open old wounds by going into this now, just trying to give people who weren't there some context. I don't harbor any hard feelings. It's water under the bridge. We've all moved on.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Hey, what if Sam told him and asked Chuck not to reveal the info to the public? Or maybe he did not tell him who made it. In either case it is none of our business. And it would not be very upstanding of Chuck to reveal the source if he was not asked to, so why jump on him?
    I assumed that he was asked to not divulge. Cowdery started this thread about it, and he should have assumed we would all be wondering. He could have said he was asked to keep it quite, or he could have simply said that the Medley's would not divulge this info. (In the typically antiquated way of doing business in Kentucky that will soon fade away in the next 10 or so years.) But rather he left it hanging in the air, so I asked the questions we all had in our head.

As for it being "none of our business." We have every right to ask. And if the Medley's choose not to tell us, we have every right not to buy their product.

Look, at the end of the day Cowdery raised lots of questions with his initial post, more than he answered. I questioned it, maybe a bit forcefully, but I never called him any names. I didn't call him an "idiot." When other members do such things, the mods are all over it. I don't expect that to happen here, but I like to point it out. And Chuck's a big boy, he can handle it, or so I assume.