Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I won't buy this one at $25 (that's popular price?) per 750 because this is basic whisky. I can get a 1.75 of very good 4-6 year old 100 proof Bourbon for less than $25 all day long.

this is one reason I like squire....he doesnt play the popular game. he knows what he likes and openly admits it. It may not be the best bourbon on the planet, but at $25, you cant go wrong with a 1.75 of HH/VOB/OGD BIB.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Heaven Hill uses a contract distilling model with their distributors. The 6-year-old whiskey that will be 7-year-old (theoretically) Evan Williams next year isn't owned by Heaven Hill. They sold it to their distributors years ago, when it came off the still. This allows Heaven Hill to free up capital to invest in more production and gives the distributors a favorable price, especially in an expanding market.
    According to But Always Fine Bourbon, up until the late 1960s this was how Stitzel-Weller was entirely run. Their whiskey was sold off the still to the distributors, and bottled for the distributors for an extra fee when it was ready. Pappy's primary business wasn't so much whiskey as warehouse receipts. (From what I've read here and there, there was apparently a time at least in pre-prohibition days when distillery warehouse receipts were as valued as gold and nearly as negotiable as cash.)

Virtuoso

We did Old Medley 12 as VBT #475 - I'm far from the most experienced bourbon enthusiast here, but I liked it. I'm not going to get into a QPR discussion here because I'm sure some will say it is $10 or $12 more than an EC12 or equivalent, but it was still very enjoyable and I'd gladly buy more.
    Mark

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    We did Old Medley 12 as VBT #475 - I'm far from the most experienced bourbon enthusiast here, but I liked it. I'm not going to get into a QPR discussion here because I'm sure some will say it is $10 or $12 more than an EC12 or equivalent, but it was still very enjoyable and I'd gladly buy more.
    Well put. I'll add, QPR is a nice thing to consider, but I find it so annoying when "enthusiasts" continually fall back to it in relation to their "opinion" on a whiskey. QPR is a card that is many times overplayed, IMO.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Well put. I'll add, QPR is a nice thing to consider, but I find it so annoying when "enthusiasts" continually fall back to it in relation to their "opinion" on a whiskey. QPR is a card that is many times overplayed, IMO.
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Unless it's a blind tasting situation, price is always going to shape a taster's expectations.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Medley has never been anything other than straightforward about who they are and what they do, the family has a rich history, and Charles himself has a 50 year reputation in the industry. That means something to me, maybe not to everybody.
    No disrespect Chuck, but I have to disagree with you on that point. Maybe the Medleys are straight forward about what they do when speaking to you in person, but the label and hang tag on their Wathen's Single Barrel bottles make it sound very much like they are distilling the whiskey themselves. Not to mention the page on their website titled "our distillery" that has pictures of the buildings and of mash actively fermenting in the tanks.
    http://www.wathens.com/distillery.cfm
    That's a bit much when no whiskey has been made there since 1992 and Charles Medley only owned the distillery from 1995 to 2007.

Enthusiast

Its not overplayed if it wins. Secondly, we're talking about a whiskey that nearly nobody has tasted yet, so price has everything to do with it as much as any of the other numbers on the resume.

How about this, I won't buy that whiskey because its too young. Happier?
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Its not overplayed if it wins. Secondly, we're talking about a whiskey that nearly nobody has tasted yet, so price has everything to do with it as much as any of the other numbers on the resume.

How about this, I won't buy that whiskey because its too young. Happier?
    My post really had nothing to do specifically about the Medley, be it the 12 yr that Sutton referred to, or 4yr. More of a general observation.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Unless it's a blind tasting situation, price is always going to shape a taster's expectations.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Frankly, I enjoy discussions about whiskey, regardless of price. I quickly tire when the opinions go to price, relative value, etc, too close to the front end of the discussion. Yes, I'd like to pay $11 dollars for every bottle of bourbon that I buy, but the end for enthusiasts can't be that the trump card when judging a whiskey is how it compares to the lower cost "alternative". Simply, I've grown somewhat bored of the "I'd rather have 4 bottles of such-n-such $11 dollar whiskey, for what I could get 1 of these for..." But as always, YMMV.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Disciple

... I'll add, QPR is a nice thing to consider, but I find it so annoying when "enthusiasts" continually fall back to it in relation to their "opinion" on a whiskey. QPR is a card that is many times overplayed, IMO.
    I think you perfectly and precisely phrased it Joe and find it annoying too.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011