Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Medley Brothers Bourbon

I'm following this disscusion until the QRP reference. Quailty vs Price? Personally the whole acronym thing seems lazy and confusing. (No offense) .

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Guru

That's how I interpret their posts Ted though I don't use acronyms very often.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by r60slash5 View Post
    I'm following this disscusion until the QRP reference. Quailty vs Price? Personally the whole acronym thing seems lazy and confusing. (No offense) .

Ted
    No wonder you can't figure out the acronym, you mixed the letters up

QPR = Quality-Price Ratio

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Frankly, I enjoy discussions about whiskey, regardless of price. I quickly tire when the opinions go to price, relative value, etc, too close to the front end of the discussion. Yes, I'd like to pay $11 dollars for every bottle of bourbon that I buy, but the end for enthusiasts can't be that the trump card when judging a whiskey is how it compares to the lower cost "alternative". Simply, I've grown somewhat bored of the "I'd rather have 4 bottles of such-n-such $11 dollar whiskey, for what I could get 1 of these for..." But as always, YMMV.
    Gotcha. I'm with you. That's way too much math for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I think you perfectly and precisely phrased it Joe and find it annoying too.
    I find it annoying when people talk about whiskey that doesn't exist yet.

I also find it annoying when people talk about what whiskey tastes like. Taste is completely subjective so what is there to talk about?

I also find it annoying when some people tell others what they should talk about.
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Gotcha. I'm with you. That's way too much math for me.

See, Josh?! And, we only have so many fingers and toes!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    See, Josh?! And, we only have so many fingers and toes!
    To this day, I can still only count to 21.

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

I'll be picking up a bottle of Medley Brothers when I get the chance. More often than not, I'm in the Squire camp, drinking the BIBs that are a good deal. On the other hand, I like to try new things when I can. There are a number of factors that justify price. These would include: age, proof, and demand based on novelty/scarcity. None of these factors in itself guarantees how good something will taste. I have had OFBB that was older and more scarce than OF Signature. I found that I preferred the Signature. There is also another thread around here that points out not all dusties are good. I guess my point is, if you're curious, taste and see if you like it. I think a good example is Sazerac Rye. I hadn't seen any for a long time. I ran across a single bottle for $33 (normal price around here). I know I like it, so I got it. Now, if I compare maybe 6 year old 90 proof @$33 vs. 4 year old 102 proof @$25, $25 doesn't seem too bad.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Medley Brothers was just released. I've tasted it and gave my impressions. Presumably it's available to others (I know it's on the shelf in Kentucky) and they may offer comments too. One reason I decided to write about it was because I found the whiskey surprisingly good. The 12-year-old, on the other hand, is good but about what you'd expect from a 12-year-old, i.e., not outstanding. I think the Medley Brothers is outstanding for a 4-year-old, which is why I called it out. So why all the pissing and moaning? I think what I did pretty much describes what we do here. Does anyone have a different idea about how SB.com should be used?

As for the Medley web site, nobody is 100% clean. Everybody exaggerates to some extent. I'd rather they didn't. I'd rather Van Winkle was "The Old Rip Van Winkle Company," but I also think it's possible to draw lines and say this person has gone too far. I respect others who want to draw the lines a little differently. I'm actually, believe it or not, beginning to wonder if I've been too hard on Michter's. I always try to keep an open mind.

Guru

I try to keep an open mind as well but mine sometimes shuts the door on it's own.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.