Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Hard Choice

Advanced Taster

A Hard Choice

I was given a choice today of getting one bottle BTAC for MSRP. Which one should I chose and why?

William Larue Weller
    George T. Stagg
    Sazerac 18 Yr Rye
    Eagle Rare 17 Yr
    Thomas T Handy

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Guru

Re: A Hard Choice

Stagg. It's old and barrel proof and it's the most consistent overall.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Weller because it's the only one I haven't been able to buy. Can't go wrong with Stagg though.

Advanced Taster

Hard to answer and really depends on how much more hunting for BTAC you plan on doing. I typically take the Weller or Saz as my "guaranteed" bottle since I find them to be the hardest to come across. I then look for Stagg, followed by ER17. I can usually find Handy throughout the year so I really only buy it when I'm down to my last quarter bottle. The Saz is pretty much the same year over year (due to tanking) so if you have one it may be worth switching up your buying. If you don't have one, the supply of old rye is rapidly dwindling and once its gone, its gone so it may be worth getting one (assuming you like rye of course).

This year I'm thinking WLW all the way, but the low proof Stagg is really intriguing. I think the Stagg allocation is higher than the WLW so may be more available for day 2 purchases.

Saz.

Always Saz.

/discussion

Virtuoso

First question is, are they all 2013 releases? From there - what do you enjoy drinking? If you like Maker's Mark, OWA, Old Fitz, Larceny - then maybe try Weller. If you like Booker's, KCSB, ECBP maybe try Stagg. If you like ryes, then probably Sazerac. Etc. If you honestly don't know what you like then I'd say either ER17 or Stagg. There's not really a wrong answer, especially for someone just coming to the table. They're all going to be extremely good without having the context from year to year for comparison.

Connoisseur

WLW or GTS. Can't go wrong either way.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Advanced Taster

It's 2013 release.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Saz.

Always Saz.

/discussion
    Points in your favor: Very difficult to find due to low allocation, clear end date for the rapidly diminishing supply, unclear about how the replacement juice will compare. All of these lead me to keep multiple bottles in the closet to remember this awesome rye!

Points against: Other people buying it leaves less for me so I should actively steer them towards the ER17!!

Virtuoso

WLW, just so darn tasty.

Best regards, Tony