Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Hard Choice

Virtuoso

Re: A Hard Choice

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Yep. That's why I hardly post any new release finds anymore, but I make sure to PM the local guys (or at least I try to.)
    I'd rather see fellow SB'ers post long after they've secured. Save the "allocation is in" wild goose chases and car shots for other sites.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    I'd rather see fellow SB'ers post long after they've secured. Save the "allocation is in" wild goose chases and car shots for other sites.
    Amen to that! ....filler...
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Well, to be fair, WLW is just barrel proof Weller 12, right?
    That's a good point but Larue is usually a little older isn't it? Even if it isn't, Weller 12 is underpriced so I wouldn't mind paying a little bit of a premium for a barrel proof version. If that makes any sense at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

2006 was the last time WLW was over 12 years. Whiskey nerd: ENGAGE!

2005: 12 y 2 m
    2006: 15 y 3 m
    2007: 10 y 3 m
    2008: 11 y 2 m
    2009: 11 y
    2010: 12 y 3m
    2011: 12 y 11m
    2012: 12 y 4 m
    2013: 12 y 1 m

If you are only adjusting for proof, then a savvy consumer would have to agree that the $20 - 25 Weller 12 and Sazerac rye are the better deal. But you can't "proof up" those whiskies like you can "proof down" WLW and THH...but why would you? They are amazing at barrel strength, and are a hand-picked lot of 20 to 50 barrels. Plus they only come out once a year. So, I am always willing to pay that premium when I get the chance.

Guru

To me Weller 12 and WLW are worlds apart with WLW being far superior. Others have stated before that barrel selection can play a big role in flavor variation. I'll have to proof down some WLW and see if I get W12.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 10-20-2013 at 20:16.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    To me Weller 12 and WLW are worlds apart with WLW being far superior. Others have stated before that barrel selection can play a big role in flavor variation. I'll have to proof down some WLW and see if I get W12.
    I enjoy mingling WLW and Weller 12, sometimes just a dollop of WLW in the Weller 12 to richen it, and sometimes just a dollop of Weller 12 in the WLW to bring down the proof.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    2006 was the last time WLW was over 12 years. Whiskey nerd: ENGAGE!

2005: 12 y 2 m
    2006: 15 y 3 m
    2007: 10 y 3 m
    2008: 11 y 2 m
    2009: 11 y
    2010: 12 y 3m
    2011: 12 y 11m
    2012: 12 y 4 m
    2013: 12 y 1 m

If you are only adjusting for proof, then a savvy consumer would have to agree that the $20 - 25 Weller 12 and Sazerac rye are the better deal. But you can't "proof up" those whiskies like you can "proof down" WLW and THH...but why would you? They are amazing at barrel strength, and are a hand-picked lot of 20 to 50 barrels. Plus they only come out once a year. So, I am always willing to pay that premium when I get the chance.
    Why would I not drink them at barrel strength? Because I can't taste anything at barrel strength and because it is painful for me to drink something with that high of a proof at barrel strength. I did a taste test years ago of Sazerac vs. Handy with handy taken down to 90 proof. I couldn't tell the difference. That was the last bottle I bought. The last bottle of WLW I bought was a 2007 and I thought it was great. I tasted a 2010 shortly after it came out and I was unimpressed. I haven't bought once since around that time.

I have never had a Stagg that I didn't love.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

It's been a pretty good day today. Picked up my BTAC collection. Got the mail when I got home The Bourbon Country Reader and no bills.

In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The last bottle of WLW I bought was a 2007 and I thought it was great.
    The 2007 is not the last bottle of WLW I've purchased, but I agree with you Josh, it's great. My personal favorite of the WLW's. This is one bourbon that I've been lucky enough to bunker a few bottles of. Oh, and I also have one open.

Cheers! Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Glad you made out ok (or at least I assume you still got what you expected). Keep in mind, far more people read these posts than actively engage. Even the members only sections mean thousands of folks have access.
    I did get it today, but like I said lesson learned.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society