Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Best bottles for saving a pour for later

Quick question here, I'm going to be putting in an order from specialty bottle and wanted to know if, for those who save a small amount of their rare pours, there is a specific type of bottle recommended. I'm leaning towards just the basic 2,4, and 8 ounce amber boston round screw tops unless people think there is something wrong with that. I'm also going to get a few atomizers for doing "washes" (like the pernod/absinthe/herbsaint wash in a sazerac cocktail) and some droppers for our homemade bitters.

Thanks!

Bottle type in question:
    http://www.specialtybottle.com/amber...ozwstdcap.aspx

Connoisseur

Re: Best bottles for saving a pour for later

I use clear 2 or 4 oz boston rounds for samples. I like to see the color.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I use clear 2 or 4 oz boston rounds for samples. I like to see the color.
    Color would be nice to see, I was thinking amber to protect the whiskey but if it's going to be in a box or something else then being clear should not be an issue...

big issue is cap liner. paper? paper with foil? polypropylene? no liner? that looks like a phenolic cap so it should have a liner. paper will not work. polypropylene would be okay.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    big issue is cap liner. paper? paper with foil? polypropylene? no liner? that looks like a phenolic cap so it should have a liner. paper will not work. polypropylene would be okay.
    Is liner a problem if the bottle is kept upright? They also sell those types of bottles that have the swing plastic/rubber stopper setups, would that be better? I thought liner didn't matter as long as the bottle is not on it's side.

Some of the nuances of flavor are congeners which are volatile compounds that evaporate easily. Paper is not impermeable to gas and in some cases can wick material out. Ya want a good air tight seal. Give 'em a call. It might well be plastic liner.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    Some of the nuances of flavor are congeners which are volatile compounds that evaporate easily. Paper is not impermeable to gas and in some cases can wick material out. Ya want a good air tight seal. Give 'em a call. It might well be plastic liner.
    Thanks for the info! I'll call them in the morning and find out. The cool part is they list the type of closure it is and I assume this refers to the size/threads (24/400). I did a search and there are a few sites that carry those types of lids in all sorts of materials like plastic, teflon, paper, etc... so I'm thinking worst case I could order bottles and then get separate lids. I'll keep searching to see what I can find.

nothing would react to teflon but expensive. rubber would hold for years but not sure what it would do for adding rubber flavor. china now using a melamine liner, I know nothing about how well that one works. thre are some caps that do not need liner, like what you see on some twist top bottles, like soda-pop tops.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'll call them in the morning and find out. The cool part is they list the type of closure it is and I assume this refers to the size/threads (24/400). I did a search and there are a few sites that carry those types of lids in all sorts of materials like plastic, teflon, paper, etc... so I'm thinking worst case I could order bottles and then get separate lids. I'll keep searching to see what I can find.
    They also sell sealer bands that shrink around the cap when heated.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    They also sell sealer bands that shrink around the cap when heated.
    Oh yeah, those are already added to my cart