Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Visiting Minnesota

I'm heading to Minnesota this weekend for a college reunion in Northfield, MN. I've got some time on Thursday - any must stop stores to visit in the Minn/St. Paul area or on the way to Northfield? I need to stop somewhere to pick up some bourbon for the weekend and I thought I'd try to stop somewhere interesting. Are there any good/interesting/special brands or regional whiskies that are worth trying? Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Connoisseur

Re: Visiting Minnesota

I'm sure some MN members will be able to point you in the right direction, but MN as a whole is a bourbon wasteland. Small allocations and good stores are few and far between from my experience. Good luck!
    Tyler

Connoisseur

I'm in the Twin Cities. I don't visit this board often enough to guarantee timely response. Feel free to PM me and I can help as much as I can. Did you go to Olaf or Carleton?
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

I believe there is or was until recently an 8 year old version of Heaven Hill that had a very limited distribution in MN. Maybe it's still around?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I believe there is or was until recently an 8 year old version of Heaven Hill that had a very limited distribution in MN. Maybe it's still around?
    It was discontinued last fall, but I'm sure there's some dusty bottles lying around here and there.

Connoisseur

Are you a Carl or an Ole? Carleton Class of 2003 over here.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    Are you a Carl or an Ole? Carleton Class of 2003 over here.
    It doesn't really matter as both those schools are the dregs of the MIAC. Gustavus is where it's at. Anyway, yes there is plenty of Old Heaven Hill 8 year still around for $10 a bottle. And if you get a chance, you should head out to Shorewood Liquors in Excelsior. He has a Smooth Ambler rye private selection and an OWA barrel selection as well.
    -SOB-

Advanced Taster

I'm married to a Carletonian - stopped in at Hennepin Liquors today in Uptown and their Heaven Hill bib 8 yr was cleaned out about 2 weeks ago by a guy who bought 4 cases plus the 1 1/2 cases they had on the shelf. I assume it was someone on the board. Unfortunately Excelsior isn't on the agenda due to travel logistics. Ended just buying a bottle of EWSB 2004 for $25 which is a treat because that runs $30-35 up in Rhode Island. Also had a friend bring me an ETL Commemorative and a private barrel of EHT. Those will be brought back to RI. All I know about the MIAC is that it isn't Mizzou - which is a real school with actual sports teams with professional athlete complete with annual scandals. That being said Carleton reunions are a ton of fun. Thanks for the help one and all.

Taster

If you have a chance, and this gets to you in time, stop into South Lyndale Liquors. Its almost on your way south to Northfield. They have a few private selections that are pretty good, and a good bourbon selection.

Connoisseur

Gustavus is definitely the OG Swedish Lutheran institution in MN, and they tend to have great athletics, but we are talking about a Division III conference here, Coach C. The Nobel lecture series is pretty cool.

Carleton reunions do tend to get a little wild. More property damage done that one weekend than any other one the whole year. So what'd ya drink?