Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: "Hand Picked Barrel"

I grew up in Louisville and I'm heading there tomorrow for a wedding. I'll just have to get bourbon from KY. The tax on liquor in Chicago / IL is crazy. I have not done a much price comparing, but it seems like everyone here pays less than the Windy City.

Thank to all! Again, I appreciate the knowledge. I'm glad some retailers are picking barrels out etc.

These are the Chicago prices before taxes: So add a few bucks to everything.
    Angelís Envy, $45
    Bulleit 10yo, $43
    Four Roses Single Barrel, $37
    Makerís 46, $37
    Elijah Craig 12yo, $30
    Elmer T. Lee, $30
    Bulleit, $30
    Eagle Rare 10yo Single Barrel, $27
    Evan Williams 10yo Single Barrel, $27
    Makrís Mark, $27
    W. L. Weller 12yo, $25
    Buffalo Trace, $25
    OGD 114, $25
    Last edited by Guy Debord; 10-17-2013 at 04:52.
    -Guy Debord

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Debord View Post
    I grew up in Louisville and I'm heading there tomorrow for a wedding. I'll just have to get bourbon from KY. The tax on liquor in Chicago / IL is crazy. I have not done a much price comparing, but it seems like everyone here pays less than the Windy City.

Thank to all! Again, I appreciate the knowledge. I'm glad some retailers are picking barrels out etc.

Angel’s Envy, $45
    Bulleit 10yo, $43
    Maker’s 46, $37
    Elijah Craig 12yo, $30
    Elmer T. Lee, $30
    Bulleit, $30
    Makr’s Mark, $27
    W. L. Weller 12yo, $25
    Buffalo Trace, $25
    OGD 114, $25

Those generally match the prices out here at a place like BevMo. Sometimes cheaper if they're on sale in any given week but that's the regular pricing on most of them, or what I'd expect from a 'regular' liquor store.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    There happens to be a member of SB.com who was involved in selecting a barrel of KC120 for Kroger.

really? maybe i'll pick one up then. guess i shouldnt just assume, huh?

Disciple

You should not assume. I've sat in with retailers choosing from various barrel samples that were sent to them. The final results are only as good as those choosing the barrel. A certain Milwaukee liquor store chain does this on a regular basis, I've tasted their choices in the past, and won't buy them again. On the other hand, whenever Sendik's(Milwaukee grocery chain) does a selection, I'll buy it without pause, as their Bourbon buyer has a great palate for Whiskey.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    really? maybe i'll pick one up then. guess i shouldnt just assume, huh?
    Also common for samples to be sent to the group doing the picks versus an actual visit to the distillery. Who has a program, what can be barrel picked and by whom are quite variable.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

Guy, There are hand picked barrels that are single barrel versions of regular brands. These are the same age and proof as the regular version. Usually these are the same price, or a buck or two cheaper because the store bought a whole barrel at once. I grab these, if it's something I already like (single barrel OWA). On the other hand, we have stuff like four Roses single barrel selections where a retailer could select any of 10 recipes at different ages and proofs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Debord View Post

Angel’s Envy, $45
    Bulleit 10yo, $43
    Maker’s 46, $37
    Elijah Craig 12yo, $30
    Elmer T. Lee, $30
    Bulleit, $30
    Makr’s Mark, $27
    W. L. Weller 12yo, $25
    Buffalo Trace, $25
    OGD 114, $25
    Within a few bucks of prices in KY. KY has a 6% sales tax and many cities are able to enact there own tax on alcohol, sometimes up to 8% on top of the 6% states sales tax.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Within a few bucks of prices in KY. KY has a 6% sales tax and many cities are able to enact there own tax on alcohol, sometimes up to 8% on top of the 6% states sales tax.

i bet the cities/towns surrounding those areas have a high number of stores located pretty close to the city/towm/county line to take advantage of people crossing the line to buy cheaper. if jefferson county had a 14% effective sales tax rate, but oldham/bullit/etc had the regular 6% tax, i would only buy last minute stuff in jefferson co.

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    i bet the cities/towns surrounding those areas have a high number of stores located pretty close to the city/towm/county line to take advantage of people crossing the line to buy cheaper. if jefferson county had a 14% effective sales tax rate, but oldham/bullit/etc had the regular 6% tax, i would only buy last minute stuff in jefferson co.
    Most are b/w 4 and 6%. I believe only Murray has an 8% tax.

You say that now but after about 6 months people quit noticing the tax. These are mostly in newly wet areas with quite a distance to the nearest non tax place. People pay for convenience.

And the big towns want to get that tax too. If they ever address the antiquated class of cities in Frankfort, you can bet the big boys will get those taxes worked in too.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What hasn't been said is that from the distributor/producer point of view, it's a sale of a barrel's-worth of whiskey to a store or bar that perhaps, ordinarily, wouldn't buy that much of that particular brand. It also gives the retailer an incentive to promote it, maybe at a better price, certainly with a display, maybe with ad support. The dealer is more invested so they're more likely to suggest that bottle to their customers.

The samples presented are always selections that would be appropriate for that brand. In fact, the barrels that aren't selected for a retailer single barrel probably go into the next general bottling, so it's still Weller Special Reserve (or whatever) but it's that buyer's selection from a number of possibilities, typically three to five. If the buyer goes to Kentucky they may get to taste more, if they want to.

Most producers allow individuals to do this too. You wind up actually buying your barrel in bottles from a local retailer, to comply with all the laws. Many individuals and groups here on sb.com have done it.

Woodford Reserve does it a little differently. Since Woodford batches always include whiskey from both Woodford and Shively, you have to pick two barrels from the samples offered, which they mix together. You only have to buy the equivalent of one barrel, though you can buy the whole lot if you want to.