Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: "Hand Picked Barrel"

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    What hasn't been said is that from the distributor/producer point of view, it's a sale of a barrel's-worth of whiskey to a store or bar that perhaps, ordinarily, wouldn't buy that much of that particular brand. It also gives the retailer an incentive to promote it, maybe at a better price, certainly with a display, maybe with ad support. The dealer is more invested so they're more likely to suggest that bottle to their customers.

The samples presented are always selections that would be appropriate for that brand. In fact, the barrels that aren't selected for a retailer single barrel probably go into the next general bottling, so it's still Weller Special Reserve (or whatever) but it's that buyer's selection from a number of possibilities, typically three to five. If the buyer goes to Kentucky they may get to taste more, if they want to.

Most producers allow individuals to do this too. You wind up actually buying your barrel in bottles from a local retailer, to comply with all the laws. Many individuals and groups here on sb.com have done it.

Woodford Reserve does it a little differently. Since Woodford batches always include whiskey from both Woodford and Shively, you have to pick two barrels from the samples offered, which they mix together. You only have to buy the equivalent of one barrel, though you can buy the whole lot if you want to.
    For retailers, BF is only offering Old Forester and double Oaked. Regular woodford blends are not part of the program now.

Individuals can still do woodford however.

Connoisseur

It's interesting to hear about the process (it'd be much more interesting to participate in it, of course). I wonder if the various makers have policies as to how many 'rejections' a barrel may go through before it's withdrawn from the private selection process.

Trippah and Admin

I don't think that barrels that meet the profile sit around very long when passed by in barrel selections, especially with age stated lines. With bourbon popularity booming, if it is old enough and it fits the profile, it is hitting a bottle one way or another.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    There happens to be a member of SB.com who was involved in selecting a barrel of KC120 for Kroger.
    Yep.

The samples were barrel proof so I cut them each with some water. I chose the one I thought was best from what they gave me to try. I still have the fact sheet they gave me about the barrel I chose. It was a fun experience.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Yep.

The samples were barrel proof so I cut them each with some water. I chose the one I thought was best from what they gave me to try. I still have the fact sheet they gave me about the barrel I chose. It was a fun experience.

to get an idea of where your tastes lie, may i ask what some of your favorite bourbons are? now i am interested in getting one of the kroger bottles.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    to get an idea of where your tastes lie, may i ask what some of your favorite bourbons are? now i am interested in getting one of the kroger bottles.
    Check out my profile for some of my favorites.

BTW - I was involved in selecting a barrel for a single Lexington store. Every Kroger with a liquor store is different.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Check out my profile for some of my favorites.

BTW - I was involved in selecting a barrel for a single Lexington store.
    So do each of the Kroger stores pick their own, and not centralized decision making then? Know i picked up a 4RSB here last year from Kroger St Matthews that was a great pour.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    So do each of the Kroger stores pick their own, and not centralized decision making then?
    As far as I know, somebody at the store level is involved. Though I can't rule out the possibility of the latter.

Enthusiast

One of the big stores out here started putting a premium of a few dollars on their store selection vs the regular, which i find to be not very cool

Enthusiast

I find this whole process fascinating. Like, "we took this barrel to 10 retailers, and each and every one passed on it. Send it to the Old Taylor pile!"

I mentioned in another thread that I have a local store that does extremely nice barrel picks, and it got me wondering if I just liked it more because I knew it was a store selection. At work tonight I poured my store select BT and the regular stuff, and had everyone taste them side-by-side. Then after, I tasted them blind. The store-pick BT was so much better. Then we de-proofed the EH Taylor Small Batch down to 45% and did it all over again. Again, the majority of employees and myself thought the BT pick was highly superior. Different palates will have different results, but honestly, in my anecdotal experience I'm starting to think that the store-picked stuff can punch way above its weight, particularly if you've got somebody good picking the barrels.

The first time I had a non-store picked Blanton's I felt bad for singing its praises so highly.