Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Rest in Peace Harry Shapira

Harry Shapira, an Executive V.P at Heaven Hill, passed away on sunday. For those who never met the man, he was a class act and a very approacable person. His knowledge and passion for Bourbon and its history was great and he was a moving force behind their visitor's center and the new Evan Williams Experience getting readu to open in downtown Louisville. Here is a link to his obit in the C-J: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lou...&pid=167537759

Mike Veach

Novice

Re: Rest in Peace Harry Shapira

On behalf of all of us at Heaven Hill, thanks for this Mike. Harry's father and Max's father were two of Heaven Hill's founding five brothers, and Max and Harry's leadership, and now the third generation, have brought us to where we are today. Harry was a warm and caring person, and a great part of his legacy, which he will sadly not see open next month, will be the new Evan Williams Bourbon Experience. Our thoughts are with his wife, Judy, and sons Adam and Ian and their families--and his mother, Anne Shapira, who is 99.

The ABC affiliate in Louisville, WHAS, also ran this newscast last night about Harry:

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Bou...227717361.html

May he rest in peace.

Guru

Condolences to the Shapiras and to the entire Heaven Hill family.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

It is a sad occasion, but I am glad i have had the chance to know Harry and I know there are others on this site that would want to know about his passing. My sympathy to his family.
    Mike Veach

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Indeed, this is very sad news. My sympathy goes out to the Shapira family. As Mike commented above, he was a very approachable person and a class act. I'll miss his big smile and warm handshake the next time I go to the Heritage Center. Rest in Peace, sir.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Indeed, this is very sad news. My sympathy goes out to the Shapira family. As Mike commented above, he was a very approachable person and a class act. I'll miss his big smile and warm handshake the next time I go to the Heritage Center. Rest in Peace, sir.
    Ditto.

Many times when I've visited the HH Bourbon Heritage Center, Harry was there. No matter how busy it was, whenever I said hello, he always responded back and took the time to chat for a few minutes. And yes, there was always a smile and a handshake.

Cheers Harry. I'm toasting you with a pour of HH 6 yr BIB. Godspeed sir.

Here's a pic of me and Harry from a couple of years ago. Bad pic of me. Good one of Harry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Truly a sad day. Too many great icons of the great bourbon industry have been put to rest this year. God's speed Mr. Shapira.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Advanced Taster

Sad news indeed. I have a few bottles of pre-fire HH whiskey on hand that I need to finish off, I will raise my glass to the Shapira family tonight.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk now Free

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Truly a sad day. Too many great icons of the great bourbon industry have been put to rest this year. God's speed Mr. Shapira.
    So true. We all owe Mr shapira a debt that cannot be repaid. His achievements will bring joy to our lives forever. Thank you sir and rest peacefully
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

A sad day indeed. Harry was a truly nice guy. He would hang out at the visitor's center and if you did not recognize him, you would probably take him as a tour guide. He was one to open the "good stuff" for the one's he knew loved bourbon in HH's tasting room. RIP Harry.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"