Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Clueless (young) bartender...

I met an old friend at the local Carrabba's for drinks. I ordered a "Knob Creek in a snifter". The bartender, who looked to be maybe mid to late 20's, but he was working as bartender, looked at me and said "excuse me"...I repeated exactly my order. He then said.."I don't know what you're saying...what is a snifter"? I think he was expecting that I was playing a joke of some sort on him. He later admitted that is was his first night behind the bar, but still, I'm pretty sure that even before I was old enough to drink out of a snifter.... I knew what a snifter was. Do I expect too much from society?

Connoisseur

Re: Clueless (young) bartender...

Yes, you should have told him a snifter is a large brandy glass. Some one has to educate the next generation, it may as well be you. [As a member of aforementioned society, you bear equal responsibility]
    Last edited by MauiSon; 10-18-2013 at 13:36.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post
    I met an old friend at the local Carrabba's for drinks. I ordered a "Knob Creek in a snifter". The bartender, who looked to be maybe mid to late 20's, but he was working as bartender, looked at me and said "excuse me"...I repeated exactly my order. He then said.."I don't know what you're saying...what is a snifter"? I think he was expecting that I was playing a joke of some sort on him. He later admitted that is was his first night behind the bar, but still, I'm pretty sure that even before I was old enough to drink out of a snifter.... I knew what a snifter was. Do I expect too much from society?
    You're expecting too much, especially from a place that doesn't cater to the enthusiast.

Last night I got a Sazerac cocktail at the local pub, they were advertising it big time, top of the drink list. I was genuinely intrigued to see what would come out. I got a glass full of ice with some rye whiskey that had been made using angostura bitters instead of peychaud's bitters. A couple of weeks ago my wife ordered a Manhattan from a local chain and specifically asked for them to use rye whiskey to make it. The bartender mixed half makers mark and half knob creek in it then said he didn't have any rye, but it should be similar because of what he did to make it. She asked what bitters he used and he said they didn't have any.

And never forget, most places when you ask, what bourbon do you have . . . the answer is Jack Daniels, followed by the face palm.

Bottom line, if you're not in a cocktail place or a whiskey place, don't expect too much, you'll be grossly dissappointed.
    Last edited by petrel800; 10-18-2013 at 13:40.

Enthusiast

I've had plenty of bartenders who had no idea what "neat" meant.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    This. If not ordering somewhere in Ky., I have automatically taken to explaining what "neat" means after ordering. Some know, many don't. Most in Ky. do know.

Trippah and Admin

There are beertenders and bartenders...you met up with the former.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Yep. I got ice last week when I asked for "neat" last week; granted, it was at the New Orleans convention center during a trade show, not a "bar". I'm not a snob or a jerk, I took my free drink with ice and drank it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post
    Ok, I'm going to take issue with the responses to this thread in a pretty straight tone because they honestly upset me an awful lot.
    Let's break this down here:
    You asked for something that was not as commonly known to people outside the whiskey world.
    It was the kid's first night.
    Did any of you ever have a first day at work? Remember how you felt when someone was a smart ass to you because of your inexperience? Give this kid some credit- HE'S NEW. He's not an expert. He's a human that is trying to make a living and get his life started. Be nice to these people and maybe they will learn something from you. Maybe he'll go home and research a snifter and what it's used for. Maybe it'll spark his interest in "mixology" and lead him to a better job and more training. Don't write the guy off- after all, it sounds like he was at least decent about his lack of experience and had the guts to admit his newbie status. Plus, you went to Carrabba's, not a high-end bar. I'd be damned if I even asked for whiskey at a place like that. There are 2 ways to approach this situation and it seems the folks that have responded to this thread thus far have largely chosen the "Be a whiskey snob" approach. Instead of being so high and mighty, maybe instead be kind and guide a young, struggling person that's just starting out to something they can create a career out of by giving them some free advice. Many of my "20-something" friends are just starting out with whiskey and talk to me about their awesome purchase of Jack Daniel's or Jim Beam and how awesome it is- I don't make fun of them or act like they're foolish, I encourage them to continue to seek out fine American whiskies and give them pointers and advice as to what to move on it next. But, maybe I expect too much from society?

PS- Yep, I've been drinking (Quite "moderately" actually), so write it off as an angry alcohol-fuel rant or something to at least roll around in your head and think about.....

PS (again)- I know some of the responses were in jest, and that's totally cool, but some were a bit frustrating to read. Just remember folks- everyone has to start out somewhere. You didn't start out as a Pappy or Sazerac fan from day one.....
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Ok, I'm going to....
    A very important perspective. And it's always nice to see a bit of bourbon fueled passion boil over.

The worst error, or just occupational ignorance, that I've encountered was at a sports bar at the beach last year. Ordered a WT101 (either neat or on rocks) and got a tall glass full of a small amount of WT101, ice, and salty tap water. Tasty.

Disciple

I rarely purchase spirits at a restaurant type bar. Mainly because they are not a good value. However, if I am out on someone else's dime (work-related), I will enjoy a drink or two. I find that if I am clear to my server, I usually get what I want. I don't get too wound up if I don't get the pour exactly like I want it since I am not paying. However, if I go for a second, I explain to the server what I am wanting and explain how it differs from what I got. I sometimes go to the bar and check out what they have and then chat up the bartender so that when he or she gets the order, they know what I want.