Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Clueless (young) bartender...

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Patience is a virtue, but there's nothing wrong with expecting someone doing a job to know how to do it.
    +1. And while it's easy to fault the bartender for being ignorant of their own profession, it's the responsibility of the establishment to train inexperienced employees for the role they are assigned to. My wife completed a "bartending school" training program just for fun. It was inexpensive and focused on the basics - glassware, tools, preparation, mixing techniques, pouring, speed, efficiency and cocktail recipes.

Anyone who stands behind the bar and asks "what can I get you?" should be able to comprehend the response, even if they aren't prepared to execute it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Eh, just a sign of things to come. The day is coming, that when you ask for a bourbon or a whiskey, you'll be met with a quivering stare and this response..."You mean Juice, don't you?..."
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

It was Carrabbas...come on...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Eh, just a sign of things to come. The day is coming, that when you ask for a bourbon or a whiskey, you'll be met with a quivering stare and this response..."You mean Juice, don't you?..."
    Ha! almost spit out my drink. Good one.

My theory is only order bourbon and coke on a plane...no confusion there, at a restaurant just go with local draft beer.

Enthusiast

This is a pretty interesting thread to read.

I have managed a few bars in my day, and work at a really nice place now...and often wonder how restaurants are even able to operate at all. Having enough bodies to fill the front of the house is often difficult, as restaurant workers are generally unreliable, high, young, dumb, or some combination of the four, and the people who are good are often in between jobs, school, or just want to be able to work relatively few hours and live, however basic. You get good people, sure, but often they disappear after you've spent hours and hours training them as soon as something better comes along. Our society essentially tells people that its OK to work in restaurants while you're young or a student, but god forbid you want to do it full-time as a living. So many external and internal pressure. And generally even "better off" restaurant employees are barely making rent or paying bills.

I have noticed that as the foodie scene has grown, people are more interested as food-service as a career, but its still few and far between. This is why people get attached to good bartenders, they are not easy to find.

Virtuoso

It's called training. Only works when combined with staff retention. I don't want to gloat but...
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Everybody starts new at some point. Make it an educational and collaborative experience. When it comes to training and putting well trained staff in positions within the service industries, well, it's not like it used to be!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Enthusiast

I like the general sentiment of this thread, yeh there is a difference between not knowing and intentionally doing the wrong thing, and helping out the ones who dont know better, well its just good for everyone.

Advanced Taster

I also like to think it can go both ways.

I was in a new bar the other day that had just opened. Noticed they had a pretty decent selection of bourbon for Oz and asked for GTS. The bartender gave me a bit of a look and asked how I wanted it. When I told him neat, he broke into the biggest smile and reached under the counter for a Glencairn and told me how good it was to finally serve someone that appreciates how a good whiskey should be drunk. Everyone else who he had served for the night wanted everything mixed with coke. Now maybe the the whiskey drinking is not as big in Oz as in the states, but I always like to think that while the bartenders should know how to pour what you ask, in this day and age where a lot of people do not appreciate what they are asking for, especially here in OZ where I would assume a lot of people just look at the menu and go by whats the most expensive on the list, its not going to be their fault if they dont know how get it right straight away. It just means you have to watch them like a hawk when they make the drink.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Just can't get aboard the anti-"juice" train.

But bartenders should learn what a snifter is, I guess. Hell, I'm in Utah, I'm just happy they'll serve me whiskey.
    Jim