Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Clueless (young) bartender...

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Just can't get aboard the anti-"juice" train.

But bartenders should learn what a snifter is, I guess. Hell, I'm in Utah, I'm just happy they'll serve me whiskey.
    Jim, it's actually more of a very, very, remote and tiny island. There are 3 of us on it...and a goat...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Ok, I'm going to take issue with the responses to this thread in a pretty straight tone because they honestly upset me an awful lot.
    I honestly don't know why this discussion would be upsetting to you. No one said anything which would indicate that they were rude or condescending to the bartender. Discussing clueless bartenders in this forum should be perfectly fine.

I will say that I've run into my share of inexperienced bartenders, but have always tried to be good natured in explaining what I wanted.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Dan View Post
    I honestly don't know why this discussion would be upsetting to you. No one said anything which would indicate that they were rude or condescending to the bartender. Discussing clueless bartenders in this forum should be perfectly fine.

I will say that I've run into my share of inexperienced bartenders, but have always tried to be good natured in explaining what I wanted.
    To me it's an issue of expecting someone to know a lesser known piece of information on their first night at work. If this was a whiskey bar, I wouldn't have an issue with this thread because if you're into whiskey, you know what a snifter glass it. But, again, this was Carrabba's. Now if the bartender didn't know what vodka was, that would be a real different story!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Enthusiast

I agree that my expectations from a bartender are much lower at the types of bars that were mentioned above, however, I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect minimal competence.

A quick glance at the bottles behind a bar will almost always tell me whether I should just play it safe and order a beer. Just as I never order cajun or creole dishes outside of south Louisiana, I never order a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned at a bar that has less than a dozen whiskeys (and even then, I will inquire as to how they mix those drinks).

Guru

I would expect a bartender of any (legal) age to know what a brandy snifter is. Just like I would expect them to know what a tumbler or pint glass is.

Edit: ...even it they didn't have any of those glasses on hand.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 10-20-2013 at 16:23.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

We have three whiskey bars in the Raleigh/Durham area. Two of them don't have whiskey glassware (Glencarin or similar). The other does, but I have to ask for it. If I am going to pay $20 for an oz of great juice, I want a glass I can nose.

I gave feed back to one of the places and they told me they wanted to have them, but due to their small place, they didn't have room for them. The other place, I didn't bother giving feedback. Their pours were 1.5 oz and I didn't feel like spending $30 for it. Fortunately, its specialty is cocktails, so I just ordered a Manhattan. It was excellent.
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Enthusiast

Maybe I'm just a newb... But I have never specified the glass type when I've ordered a glass of whiskey, even at some pretty nice places. And I know I said this earlier but seriously it is Carrabbas! The bartenders there aren't bartenders. I barely trust them to get a beer and wine order right.

If you want a nice pour in a specific glass...go somewhere else.