Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    675

    LDI / MGP Bourbon

    I gather that LDI, now known as MGP in Lawrenceburg Indiana started by making straight whiskies to be used in blends. Nowadays they are selling to quite a few people to supply non producer distributors. I've tried probably five different versions of the rye, under different labels. I like some of them. On the other hand, I've never had any of their bourbon. It's hard for me to justify paying premium price for young-ish bulk whiskey at 80 odd proof. Am I missing something? Is there some version of their bourbon I should try.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    id say i generally try not to pick up the NDP stuff, but just an hour ago i bought an ezra 101. i couldnt tell you what LDI bourbons are out there, but id like to know as well

  3. #3
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hoosier State
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    Paul, the Hoosier bourbons that I am aware of are MGPI. Spring Mill, and Harrison for sure. There are plenty of others.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    Most if not all of the Smooth Ambler stuff too, yeah?

  5. #5
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Paul, the Hoosier bourbons that I am aware of are MGPI. Spring Mill, and Harrison for sure. There are plenty of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Most if not all of the Smooth Ambler stuff too, yeah?
    Yes. All these are tasty too, imo. The Harrison is overpriced though.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I gather that LDI, now known as MGP in Lawrenceburg Indiana started by making straight whiskies to be used in blends. Nowadays they are selling to quite a few people to supply non producer distributors. I've tried probably five different versions of the rye, under different labels. I like some of them. On the other hand, I've never had any of their bourbon. It's hard for me to justify paying premium price for young-ish bulk whiskey at 80 odd proof. Am I missing something? Is there some version of their bourbon I should try.
    Old Scout will give you an age statement and is bottled at 99 proof. You should be able to find them at 6 or 7 years old somewhere near you. There's also a new 10 year, 100 proof bottling available as well.

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    305

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    There was some Smooth Ambler Very Old Scout 14 YO, 15 YO and 17 YO bottled and sold ... and at least one bottle of 19 YO (50% ABV) in my stash.
    Sto lat!!!

    bllygthrd

  8. #8
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    Also an 11 year. I've heard of the 15 and 17, but have never seen either.

  9. #9
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,541

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    I have the 14-year-old. I wanted to love it. I just don't.

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE Minn
    Posts
    967

    Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I wanted to love it. I just don't.
    That has the makings of a great thread title......

    B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top