Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: LDI / MGP Bourbon

Thanks for the replies. I started the thread because I'm curios, and have noticed the Lawrenceburg bourbon doesn't get much notice around here. I see a lot on shelves lately.

Guru

Got to say I do enjoy more of the LDI/MGP ryes than bourbons but some of their other whiskys are yuck. Try the Chattanooga 1816 as a reference point.

Connoisseur

I don't think I've ever seen that one. Is that a good, or bad reference point?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen that one. Is that a good, or bad reference point?

Just my noobs opinion but the Chatt 1816 makes JB Devils Cut taste like an A+. I'm close to Chatt and they are starting up their own brewery downtown and their story is that this is their great-great grandads mash bill, like MGP would make something special for them but they have the local paper and politicos convinced.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

MGPI Indiana will make something custom, but it's very expensive and, if it's custom, you have to let it age, you can't just buy it off the shelf. It's unlikely that it's truly custom but it's possible.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I gather that LDI, now known as MGP in Lawrenceburg Indiana started by making straight whiskies to be used in blends . . . . I've never had any of their bourbon. It's hard for me to justify paying premium price for young-ish bulk whiskey at 80 odd proof. Am I missing something?
    Since the bulk % of the blends was GNS I suspect the bulk of MGP's output was/is GNS as well. As for the Bourbon, changing the label does not change the basic whisky so rather than missing something I believe you have instead gained by saving a lot of money that can be spent on established brands actually made by the people who bottle them.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    . . . I'm close to Chatt and they are starting up their own brewery downtown and their story is that this is their great-great grandads mash bill . . .
    Well . . . It could be, I really wouldn't know, but even if the statement is true it only implys they are either recreating or continuing a tradition of making a specific whisky, which would be impossible. What was the brand grandpa made anyway?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Smooth Ambler Bourbons are also Four Roses

Steffen

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I had one of the bourbons, the 11 year old, and didn't enjoy it. It had (IMO) a rough wood note, that put me off. Had one of the ryes and a similar experience. Won't revisit.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Well . . . It could be, I really wouldn't know, but even if the statement is true it only implys they are either recreating or continuing a tradition of making a specific whisky, which would be impossible. What was the brand grandpa made anyway?
    Went back and researched this and they actually never said and now I find that odd.