Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

The best versions of BT's high rye mashbill

I was talking with a friend yesterday about how much we both love the BT high rye mashbill and how there should be a BTAC version of it. I remember that sentiment coming up on here before too. (I guess the lack of a BTAC version has something to do with Age International.) I'm interested in tracking down the the BTAC-like versions of this mashbill, with extra age and/or proof compared to the common releases. For the heck of it I started a list. Hopefully we can identify them all. I really need to find some Blantons straight from the barrel and the BTEC French Oak bottles, which i never realized were the high rye before. I imagine there are some other interesting limited and dusty releases out there. What is everyone's favorite?

Regular releases:
    Elmer T Lee
    Rock Hill Farms
    Hanckock Reserve
    Ancient Age
    Ancient Ancient Age 10 year
    Ancient Age 10 star
    Blantons

Foreign:
    Blantons Gold (51.5% abv, age?)
    Blantons Straight From the Barrel (barrel proof, age?)
    Blantons Special Reserve (40% abv)

Dusty:
    Elmer T Lee 15yo barrel pick (when was this released and what store?)
    BTEC 19 and 23 year French Oak
    Virginia Gentleman
    Blanton's Silver (98 proof, foreign release)
    Last edited by compliance; 10-20-2013 at 21:22.

Connoisseur

Re: The best versions of BT's high rye mashbill

I've only had 2, Blanton's and ETL. Of the two, Blanton's wins (even on a value basis, as I only paid 10% more for Blanton's). I do prefer the ETL bottle, tho.
    Last edited by MauiSon; 10-20-2013 at 20:50.

Enthusiast

I am extremely jealous of your cheap Blanton's out there in HI, not to mention the beautiful beaches. Here Blanton's is almost double the price of ETL. I end up drinking a lot of ETL for that reason, even though Blanton's and RHF are both excellent.

Enthusiast

i know its proof works against it, but the last bottle of Hancock's Reserve I had was honeylicious. I kept drinking it, almost to excess.

Guru

Don't forget ETL BUB (Butt Ugly Bottle) at 107 proof. (Dusty)
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    how there should be a BTAC version of it.
    At the risk of being crass, I think the passing of Elmer T. Lee and the way it brought attention to that brand over the summer would be a good chance to consider an ETL 15 addition to the BTAC. I guess it's a social media thing, where one person with an interest, like the members here, can post about an event and now lots of formerly unaware individuals are taking notice. I had several people who aren't whiskey geeks say that they either drank ETL or bought a bottle of ETL in the week after Elmer's passing, and you can't even buy ETL in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    At the risk of being crass, I think the passing of Elmer T. Lee and the way it brought attention to that brand over the summer would be a good chance to consider an ETL 15 addition to the BTAC. I guess it's a social media thing, where one person with an interest, like the members here, can post about an event and now lots of formerly unaware individuals are taking notice. I had several people who aren't whiskey geeks say that they either drank ETL or bought a bottle of ETL in the week after Elmer's passing, and you can't even buy ETL in this state.
    oddly enough that is exactly when I bought my first ETL bottle. Passed a liquor store just after reading about his passing and decided to grab one.

Advanced Taster

Blantons Straight From the Barrel is sublime. Way better than G T Stagg (IMO).
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

Best I've had was the Kahn's Rock Hill Farms from a couple years ago.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Forgot about ETL 107! Thanks smknjoe. You also reminded me of the ETL 90th birthday edition. Does anyone know if there was anything special about the birthday edition or was that just a special bottle?

I had intended to edit the list in the first post as I go. I didn't realize we lose edit capability after some time.

Looking through old posts on the BUB I've also found references to Ancient Age Barrel 107, which was 10 year old 107 proof. Sounds delicious.
    Last edited by compliance; 10-21-2013 at 20:22.