Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: The best versions of BT's high rye mashbill

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I would notice. ER17 is a completely worth addition to the lineup, and is currently the most "antique" of the Antique Collection. The 2012 19 year was excellent. I vote for adding an ETL 15 107 to the lineup, and changing ER17 to ER20.
    I'd be happy with a regular production AA 10/107 and they should keep the BTAC ER at 17, as that statement leaves them more room to choose the best barrels each year of their 17+ year old barrels.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    as that statement leaves them more room to choose the best barrels each year of their 17+ year old barrels.
    You're absolutely right. While I enjoy the increasing age, it's unnecessary and probably harmful to limit their options in selection each year.

I think we should do an SB barreling of ETL at 107

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    I think we should do an SB barreling of ETL at 107
    Um...yeah! .....filler...........
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

I also think that the best high rye mashbill is RHF, as Compliance and I had had this discussion awhile back......can't wait to try that ETL 15 year!

Virtuoso

I had a sample of Ancient Age Bottled in Bond, not sure how old or from what era, from a fellow SBer and frankly it was probably the best example of the Age mashbill that I've had. I like RHF and I like ETL but this was a much bigger whiskey than either of them, but still with the family resemblance.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

I picked up my first Hancock's Reserve today and I have an open bottle of Elmer T Lee. The Hancock is more rye forward and lighter. Seems to me like it's younger too but I guess we don't know for sure. I think I can pick up the tropical notes people mention, but they aren't that strong to me. I get more banana. My current bottle (and most ETL bottles to me) are cherry/Dr. Pepper like, but Hancock's is not. The finish on the Hancock lasted a lot longer than I was expecting which was nice. ETL is the winner tonight, but I'll give the Hancock a chance to open up over the next week or so.

Guru

My take on Hancock is about the same, a lighter version of ETL. The flavor wouldn't be determined by proof alone, there's not that much difference between 88 and 90 proof, so it's profile is a definite choice but it is a stylish, sophisticated whisky. My only objection is the price which also reflects the higher cost packaging.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Well I plain don't like Blanton's, ETL is okay and RHF wasn't bad. Guess I don't like BT's high rye mashbill. BUT, I do love some barrel proof whiskies that I find underwhelming at younger, lower (90-107) proofs (WLW vs W12/OWA for example). So I would be interested in trying a BTAC ETL or whatever possible higher proof/extended age high rye they possibly might produce.

Enthusiast

I found a local shop (not Binny's) that did a ETL barrel select and, for the price, its really good. I could drink this my entire life and be happy.

I found a ETL BUB 107 a while back and its sitting on the shelf waiting to be cracked. From my understanding, it's different juice from the AA 107, right?

And my vote is for an ETL BTAC - 15 years at 107.
    Justin