Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Going to be in NYC for a day, anything whiskey related worth visiting?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    McSorleys is still the same, was there last weekend..
    good news..........
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Connoisseur

my brother-in-law lives on W 17 between 6th and 7th and we stay at the W Hotel in Union Square at Park & 17th. We walk up and back and I don't think I've ever noticed Rye House. May have to check it out next time. Menu looks tasty.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

My brother was telling me about a place in NY called Angel's Share? It's supposed to have "the best" bourbon list in town. And as a bonus it's hard to get to and no signs! Is this some place I need to seek out the next time I'm up that way?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Advanced Taster

Nobody mentioned the Brandy Library. I have never been there and was wondering.

Advanced Taster

Was just in NYC and went to St Andrews pub on 46th St just off Times Sq. Great whisky selection, skewed heavily towards malt whiskies, and good food. If you are required to be in, or near, Times Sq for work or events it's a great place to go.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    Nobody mentioned the Brandy Library. I have never been there and was wondering.
    I have been to the Brandy Library and I enjoyed it a lot. As the name implies, their primary focus has historically been on cognac and armagnac, and they have an incredible selection of those, but they also have a good selection of whiskeys. The other place I have been to recently, in the financial district, is Vintry Wine and Whiskey on Stone Street. They had a nice selection of whiskey and some great small plate dishes. They have a small seating area. Of the two, I prefer Brandy Library.

As for shopping in NY - the prices are bad and the selection is not great. Some of the better-known stores will, in fact, try to rob you blind. Do not buy anything without price checking it on wine searcher or against prices from another out-of-town retailer you trust. Every time I go (back) anywhere near the South I'm struck by how thoroughly NY does not have a longstanding bourbon culture and how much broader the selection is elsewhere. It seems like much more of a wine and scotch culture here.